View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Thanks Frankie :)

Had Dan (from Pa.) coming down to the boat today for a fishing trip. Dan, like most of us, would rather catch fish on the jig, than on the trolling rods I told Bruce and Dan to bring a jigging rod with them, but imagined trolling for my fish; THEN looking for a jig bite.

Plan A was to leave Deale at 7am and run south to an area I heard some fish were being caught. We were looking at a 20-30 minute run south

We broke the Deale jetty at 7:08 and headed south. There is a small reef of concrete outside of Deale, and Bruce said, "I wonder if there's any fish on the reef? It's been good to us on occasion."

I headed in that direction, and when we arrived, there were about 4 fish on the screen, and nothing showing on top of the water. I said, "You can try jigging these few fish, but I usually wait until i see more on the screen." I'm not the best jigger, and usually jig when the screen is "lit up"
I know it wasn't two minutes, when all hell broke loose. Fish breaking all around the boat
Bruce had a small Hopkins Spoon (I think) and was out catching Dan and my 6 inch BKD 4 to 1
Most were shorts (16-18 inches), but keepers (20-27) mixed in. Dan and I downsized, and we all were hooked up on occasion.
Didn't take long to fill the box, and C/R was a ton of fun. We stayed on pods of breaking fish for several hours. Eventually, the charters spotted us and when 7-8 charters ran through, it was pretty much over.
It was pure luck that we not only found these fish, but had them to ourselves for so long. It was truly an enjoyable and memorable day.

On the ride home from Deale, I received a call from Captain John that a very good friend of ours (who had been fighting cancer for about five years), lost his fight early this morning.
I believe Frankie had a hand in todays trip. He was smiling from ear to ear as we caught one nice fish after another. When we hooked up one that took drag or worked itself across the back of the boat into the opposite corner (couldn't turn him), Frankie was laughing and saying, "That's another nice one."

My dear friend, you will be missed; but I will always remember this day, as the day Frankie led us to a great day of fishing just outside of the Deale harbor.

5th