Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Got my boy his first tackle bag

As a Christmas gift I got him a small bag at Bass Pro. They had a decent one with 4 boxes inside for about $15.00

I figured it's time, at age 10 that he get his own gear and start learning what to fill those boxes with.

If he has to buy his own lures, he'll have to learn which ones are effective and anytime I can get him reading is good.

I did cheat a little and gave him a head start; I bought a half dozen lures to fill his stocking with to get him started.

Mostly he'll be White Perch fishing and fishing for other panfish in the Magothy and some other brackish waters, as well as doing a little largemouth fishing on some favorite ponds and rivers.

I started him with what I consider to be some of the basic and essential lures for the above mention species.

A few Beetlespins
A Rebel crawldad
2 Super Dupers (I've been crushing WP with these for the past 3 years)
A nice Rapala RatlTrap in chrome/blue (Been catching decent Rockfish with this as well as Largemouth)
A few Spinnerbaits

For his birthday in Feb I'll get him a few topwater lures and start teaching him about Texas and Carolina rigging lizards and worms for bass and freshwater Pickerel.

So what are some other lures y'all would consider essential for a 10 year old? My boat is only 15' so it's not like we go out into big water...mostly on the Magothy and some eastern shore rivers. I got him a nice set of stainless steel cutting pliers too. Gotta' have the right tools to get the job done.

When I was his age we never used anything but live worms.