Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM

From what I am reading about the flats and the poor fishing in the main stem of the bay it reminds me of what happened prior to the moratorium. I remember how the charter captains were bitching about the bluefish killing the rockfish and how tough it was to find any good size rock. My old friends down on the eastern shore tell me the fish are not there this spring.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
No commercial quotas were increased. As a matter of fact, Maryland's was decreased 6 percent for 2010.
According to the article in the most recent SWS, the commercial take has increased 30% to a total take of harvest and discards of 51% in the last 3 years, while the recreational take has decreased that amount, but ASMFC voted across geographic lines to increase the commercial quota. Is their data wrong? If so you probably could write a great letter to the editor correcting them...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
From what I am reading about the flats and the poor fishing in the main stem of the bay it reminds me of what happened prior to the moratorium. I remember how the charter captains were bitching about the bluefish killing the rockfish and how tough it was to find any good size rock. My old friends down on the eastern shore tell me the fish are not there this spring.
This year there was a unique set of circumstances that really affected the fishing. We had the early heatwave that spiked the temps in the spawning waters and then a full moon in late march. That sent the fish up into the rivers weeks ahead of a typical schedule. By the time the season opened, the 1st group was on the way out and well south while the second group started staging. I ran into the perfect storm last week where these two groups met in the bay and I experienced the most phenomenal bite I ever had. If you motor around the spawning rivers you'll see them on the fish finder. They're here, just not in the main stem.

One more thing. Fishing high in the column hasn't produced exceptionally well this year for me. I don't know why but my deeper rods have produced better.

Last edited by Slayer; 04-26-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM

Not killing the pre spawn females is a "no brainer" just like leaving the female crabs alone. With the live for today attitude that most people have, that is the reason for much of our problems. Tomorrow is coming sooner than you think..........Gary
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM

I was told commercial gill netters are now allowed twice the nets from last year, is this true?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

I have a PDF of a presentation made by the dnr to the stake holders regarding last years trophy season. It is a rather good presentation. If someone wants a copy emailed to them, send me a pm

Here are a few key points to it though:
  • The spawn typically lasts until mid June according to DNR.
  • However May 16-June 15 typically shows less than 10% of MD's migratory harvest.
  • Vast majority of migratory fish harvested in 2009 by far were between 34" and 40" long.

Other dymanics that we know:
  • On average between 2002 and 2008, 85% of fish harvested during the spring trophy season are female.
  • On average between 2002 and 2008, half of the females harvested during the spring trophy season have not yet spawned or are ‘pre-spawn’. The pre-spawn fraction is variable – ranging from 63% in 2005, to 30% in 2008
  • Recreational fishing has a 1 Billion (according to ASA) to 1.3 Billion (according to DNR) dollar socio-economic impact to the Maryland economy
  • While the breakdown of the seasons is not known it is estimated that the trophy season has the largest ecomomic impact to recreational fishing. (evidence through this is found in revenue and trips taken by with the charter industry over any given 2 week period - also visably evident through participation)
  • Fish harvested through the late fall and winter are also carrying roe
  • Coastal winter fishery has and estimated harvest of between 200,000-800,000 fish (fish arent accounted for caught in the EEZ)
  • Other states harvest far more striped bass recreationally than Maryland. (in millions of lbs according to NOAA for 2008 - MD at 2.6, NY at 7.0, NJ at 4.7, Mass at 5.5)

Given that our managers are obligated to manage the resource to maximize its benefits, How can we manage for the future while maximizing today. While I certainly do not believe this should fall squarely on the shoulders of Maryland, we may have to address how reductions can be made by us in the future.

Personally, I dont believe in the concept of pre-spawn fish as they all are prespawn. Whether they are harvested off of Mass in the summer or NC in Jan, they are prespawn. Providing enough fish remain in the population to sustain itself, enough will get through for there will be a successful spawn. This includes Maryland. Given the harvest numbers, I am not sure the Maryland trophy season is doing the most damage, especially given the 1 per person creel not matched anywhere.

Should Maryland need to reduce its harvest numbers in order to allow more fish to spawn, I would like to see a no-take slot limit. Given the numbers shown above, I think a slot that targets where most fish are taken may reduce the chances one may keep a fish while still providing for a good opportunity to catch a fish. It is important to note that while I agree catch and release is a great tool in keeping access open, the opportunity to harvest a fish is attractive to many more anglers. This is evident in the participation levels after the trophy season opens. This is why a no-take slot would be beneficial in my opinion. It would greatly reduce the impact of the harvest while still providing for that opporuntity to keep a fish. I actually believe Maryland could extend the season length with an appropriate no take slot to preserve the spawn. This would have the potential to increase the economic benefit to our state from the use of the resource while protecting more for the future. I also think it would help in the catch and release mind-set amoungst anglers who dont full appreciate the sport without keeping a fish. In other words, I think anglers who still have the opportunity to catch and keep a fish would still find themselves enjoying their time on the water if they were able to catch fish in the hunt for a "keeper" or true "trophy". While the no-take slot may affect their opportunity to keep a fish, it has not reduced their opportunity to catch a fish.

I will also disagree that debating on forums is a waste of time. While we can poo-poo them all you want, managers are watching and reading. This was very evident to me during the whole preseason catch and release debate. I think forums are great tools to change hearts and minds and make good cases for your causes if you take the time to argue your points well and thoroughly.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 04-26-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggydaddy View Post
I was told commercial gill netters are now allowed twice the nets from last year, is this true?

They (DNR) increased the amount of net legally allowed for the gill-netters. Not twice the amount. They say it is so the commercial netters could keep different size mesh onboard to better target different size class of fish. However nothing in the law stops them form deploying all of the gill nets on a licensed vessel. There quota has not changed they are still allowed the same poundage of fish. If the commercials reach there quota early DNR shuts the fishery down. A few from this site were at the meetings and may have a better detailed explanation of the reasoning.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
They (DNR) increased the amount of net legally allowed for the gill-netters. Not twice the amount. They say it is so the commercial netters could keep different size mesh onboard to better target different size class of fish. However nothing in the law stops them form deploying all of the gill nets on a licensed vessel. There quota has not changed they are still allowed the same poundage of fish. If the commercials reach there quota early DNR shuts the fishery down. A few from this site were at the meetings and may have a better detailed explanation of the reasoning.
Thanks Fish Nut.
IMHO B Faithful has a good idea with slot fish limit, it would allow for fish to be taken while protecting the large spawning cows, on the other hand as you mentioned other states need to come in line with lower limits, that in its self would be a challenge.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggydaddy View Post
Thanks Fish Nut.
IMHO B Faithful has a good idea with slot fish limit, it would allow for fish to be taken while protecting the large spawning cows, on the other hand as you mentioned other states need to come in line with lower limits, that in its self would be a challenge.
I should note that I dont support a slot that has an upper limit as I believe in the preservations of the opportunity for records and tournaments, which are a large draw to recreational fishing too. Large "citation" fish make up a small portion of the migratory fish harvested anyhow. I think a no take slot that would target allow the a higher percentage of spawners through would work. Given that the VAST majority of migratory fish harvested in 2009 (by far) were between 34" and 40" long, a slot that targets that range would be most appropriate. The difficult things managers would have to look at is, what slot would work best at protecting the spawn while still providing for enough opportunity for anglers to harvest a fish. If that opportunity gets too low, interest in the season may dry up losing the economic benefit of the season. It would be a balance left up to the managers and scientists.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM

Easy fix - C/R until May 15th of fish over 28 inches.
Still can catch that big one - just have to let her go.