Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Default smart phone apps

Ok; for 2012 I'm treating myself to a smart phone (iphone4). I know there are lots of other models out there, but my kids have iphones, so I can get help or instructions from them anytime I'm stumped with my phone.

Neither of them are into boating or fishing so my question to this community is what apps should I look into buying that would be benificial.

I've seen some fishermen with weather on their phone that shows up to date radar. Is this a purchased app?

Can I get Navionics on the phone? Is this worth it?

What do you have and what ones do you use most often.

Feel free to jump in and tell me what built in apps the iphone has that are useful as well.

I get the new phone on Tuesday.

Can I get a pair of fishing suspenders for it.

My old phone is carried on the hip like a nerd from the 1990's. I guess it replaced the "pocket protector" nerd from high school. How or where do you carry phone to keep it handy, yet safe from falling in the water?

That's enough for now,
5th (Marty)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM

Nobody uses their phone apps on the water?
5th
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Marty, It has a great app for researching nursing homes.You can pick one that caters to old fishermen and tell stories all day long. I just got a GzOne so I can't help you but I have seen radar on one. Happy New Year............Gary
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Marty I have an iphone too but havent gotten into the apps much. I did put a radar app on there thats not bad for for basic weather.....and it was free.

The nice thing about iphone apps is that people are brutally honest about reviewing them so you can really tell what youre getting.

Oh, while the free apps can be nice, its often well worth it to pay the few dollars for the better apps.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Wish I could bring up the scene from JAWS when Quint was giving Hooper holy sh*t for bringing a shark cage on the boat.

All these wild electronics / smart phones - unreal what they can do.

The Dunkin' Donut locater app - now that is worth it
Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Wish I could bring up the scene from JAWS when Quint was giving Hooper holy sh*t for bringing a shark cage on the boat.

All these wild electronics / smart phones - unreal what they can do.

The Dunkin' Donut locater app - now that is worth it
Funny....I was laid up for a couple of days and they were running the Jaws marathon on Spike tv. I know the scene well now,

I never used to be a fan of smartphones...I like simple stuff that works. The first few "smart" phones that my company issued me were complete duds and always had to be rebooted at the worst times. So far, this iphone has been great.

Marty let me know if you find any really kick ass apps for it. I forgot to mention that there's a nice tide app available.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Phone is due in Tomorrow (Tuesday). I know Don has a weather app that showed us the rain on radar this summer while we fished. We could tell that most of the rain was north of us and traveling east to west; we didn't have to stop fishing.
5th
Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Marty,

You're going to love having a smartphone. I resisted for years thinking all I needed was a basic phone. I was wrong, I use mine all the time. Mine is an Android, but I'm sure Apple has the same apps. I have tide and current apps that are cool, but being able to go online and check the weather radar for storms and seeing realtime buoy data is what I like most.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the TF app....
Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Marty,

You're going to love having a smartphone. I resisted for years thinking all I needed was a basic phone. I was wrong, I use mine all the time. Mine is an Android, but I'm sure Apple has the same apps. I have tide and current apps that are cool, but being able to go online and check the weather radar for storms and seeing realtime buoy data is what I like most.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the TF app....
I have to see what's preloaded. I want a nice gps and weather app. Also the "flashlight" app". Being able to check tide, current, and buoy data would be sweet also. I went to a "best buy" websight and I see there are lots of free apps and some that cost a couple bucks. I'll be learning the phone this winter so it will be a help to me on the water this spring.
5th (Marty)
p.s. can't wait to get my music on it as well
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Hi Marty, I bought my iphone mostly to use for the ipod feature. No more looking for a radio station that fades in and out and it is all music I like.

It has an excellent camera and video features that work easliy and better quality than the old digital camera i had on board.

BoatUS has an app that will send your GPS coordiantes to them and request a tow if you need it.

ABC 2 weather app has a in motion weather radar that is easy to update. Weather.com's sometimes will not update if you are trying to watch an apporaching storm

There are fishing log app that cost, but there is a built in audio recorder so you can make good records of catches or there is a note pad

You can check baseball and football scores easly through free apps

You can post to here from the water your fishing report, free app

Pandora Radio is a neat music thing. You tell it what you want to hear and it will select songs and send them to you, You thumbs up or thumbs down the song and it narrows in on what you like. Problem with this app, is it uses up a lot of data download. Is better used on land where you can download via wifi

There are GPS porgrams that cost, I have not used any of them yet. but are available. I beleive you purchase the app and then the map for the area you fish.

Smart Buoy app lets you look at all of the smart buoys up and down the bay with real time data, free app, there is a float plan app free so you can email a freind or family where you are planning on fishing that day and when you plan on returning.

There is also a bay guide for identifying species that was free.

If you want it there is an app. I got mine back in March and love it.