Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Thanks Frankie :)

Had Dan (from Pa.) coming down to the boat today for a fishing trip. Dan, like most of us, would rather catch fish on the jig, than on the trolling rods I told Bruce and Dan to bring a jigging rod with them, but imagined trolling for my fish; THEN looking for a jig bite.

Plan A was to leave Deale at 7am and run south to an area I heard some fish were being caught. We were looking at a 20-30 minute run south

We broke the Deale jetty at 7:08 and headed south. There is a small reef of concrete outside of Deale, and Bruce said, "I wonder if there's any fish on the reef? It's been good to us on occasion."

I headed in that direction, and when we arrived, there were about 4 fish on the screen, and nothing showing on top of the water. I said, "You can try jigging these few fish, but I usually wait until i see more on the screen." I'm not the best jigger, and usually jig when the screen is "lit up"
I know it wasn't two minutes, when all hell broke loose. Fish breaking all around the boat
Bruce had a small Hopkins Spoon (I think) and was out catching Dan and my 6 inch BKD 4 to 1
Most were shorts (16-18 inches), but keepers (20-27) mixed in. Dan and I downsized, and we all were hooked up on occasion.
Didn't take long to fill the box, and C/R was a ton of fun. We stayed on pods of breaking fish for several hours. Eventually, the charters spotted us and when 7-8 charters ran through, it was pretty much over.
It was pure luck that we not only found these fish, but had them to ourselves for so long. It was truly an enjoyable and memorable day.

On the ride home from Deale, I received a call from Captain John that a very good friend of ours (who had been fighting cancer for about five years), lost his fight early this morning.
I believe Frankie had a hand in todays trip. He was smiling from ear to ear as we caught one nice fish after another. When we hooked up one that took drag or worked itself across the back of the boat into the opposite corner (couldn't turn him), Frankie was laughing and saying, "That's another nice one."

My dear friend, you will be missed; but I will always remember this day, as the day Frankie led us to a great day of fishing just outside of the Deale harbor.

5th
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend Marty. It was kind of him to show you a great day of fishing on his way “Upstairs”.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Thanks Jeff
Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks Marty, a great day indeed. Having all of those fish to ourselves for hours was a treat. I thought it was interesting how the fish quit biting a 3/4 oz hopkins spoon and we had to downsize to Clark spoons and small 1/2 oz Cast Master. The fish were really targeting the smalll silversides. I think you held your own throwing that topwater plug though. As always, any day on the water with friends is a blast, the fish are an added benifit. Sorry the day had to end with the sad news about Frankie. My thoughts and prayers to you and all who knew him.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Thanks Marty For another great trip.You always put me on the fish.Was a good time fishing with you and Bruce again.
Was sad end of the day when you found out about your friend (Frankie)I am sure he was a great guy.I am sorry for your loss.

1morecast (Dan)
Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM

Buried Frankie today. No rain

I had to wonder how Frankie was going to adjust to only C/R in heaven. As Frankie attempts to "put the fish in the box"; I wonder if a voice from above says,"Now Frankie, I know you are new here, but all fish must be released unharmed."
And another thought, what about all those sailboaters who have passed on before Frankie? Are they constantly "tacking" back and forth through the fishing grounds? Wonder how that works

I hope he starts trying to convince St. Peter to let me in; I need a good advocate up there working on my behalf.

RIP Frankie
Gone but not forgotten

5th
Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Frankie was such a good man and would do anything for anyone. I'm sure gonna miss those long talks on the phone about life and fishing. I'll never forget the time we took two black guys fishing and the one had two bananas. I had the guy so nervous that Frankie was gonna be pissed he threw them both overboard. Frankie looked at him saying why did you do that I would of ate one LOL! Sure gonna miss you Frankie and I know you'll be smiling down on us. Lead me to the fish down here and save some for us up in heaven.