Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 AM

Default ASMFC meeting yesterday - striped bass

I am told that the issue of increasing the coastal commercial allocation is going to public comment. This will be an important test to the recreational fortitude. This will be an allocation issue as in order to increase the commercial allocation it MUST be taken from the recreational side. In other words, they will take fish away from recreational anglers to give to the commercial side. This is crazy given the growing need and desire for these fish on the recreational side and the far greater socio-economic benefits of recreational fishing over commercial fishing. I hope if this is the case that the hornets nest is beat and recreational anglers speak loudly and clearly!

This is what I have been told but I am waiting for confimation to see if this actually the case. Keep yer eyes pealed!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Greg:
If that's the case it's time recs band together to push for sportfish status . If commercials take from rec limits that would leave Md. recs with nothing.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM

I hope it is not true. Especialy since two from our DNR/ Maryland group voted for the increase in commercial quota, or was that a political move?

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggydaddy View Post
Greg:
If that's the case it's time recs band together to push for sportfish status . If commercials take from rec limits that would leave Md. recs with nothing.
Any idea what the rec limit is now???

Maryland law, yes law is 42.5% recs.... 42.5% commercial. The proposal is for ocean fish and ocean commercial catch, not the bay.

BTW the sportfish status has been tried before. It won't happen here.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post

Maryland law, yes law is 42.5% recs.... 42.5% commercial. The proposal is for ocean fish and ocean commercial catch, not the bay.

Reds, you are correct this is the ocean quota that they are asking to increase.

The question is why would they want to increase the quota. It is my understating that they have not reached there max quota in years. The fishery hasn’t been shut down because of quota limits. If you’re not maxing your quota why would you want an increase? In the past the ocean commercial fishery has asked for a roll over of there unused quota from the year to the next. This has been denied the past few years. Now there is a push to increase quota. I am confused.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post

Yes, but if the increase in the ocean fish is increased, aren't they taking from some of the fish that will come up the bay to spawn? Indirectly affecting all Rec fishing (Charters and private boaters)???

Why increase it when the data presented shows a decrease in the rec take and increase in commercial take over the last 3 years? (I know we have gone back and forth on that but that is the data I have read and am sticking by until you send me data to the contrary)?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM

It seems crazy to increase the commercial quota when they have no idea what kind of impact the EEZ poachers are making on the Rockfish numbers.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldzilla View Post
Yes, but if the increase in the ocean fish is increased, aren't they taking from some of the fish that will come up the bay to spawn? Indirectly affecting all Rec fishing (Charters and private boaters)???

Why increase it when the data presented shows a decrease in the rec take and increase in commercial take over the last 3 years? (I know we have gone back and forth on that but that is the data I have read and am sticking by until you send me data to the contrary)?
Since the moratorium was lifted the rec harvest has increased 700 %. The commercial harvest has increased about 25%. It all in black and white on the ASMFC website, all you have to do is look it up. The data you have read comes out of a magazine, read it from the horses mouth.

Sure they would be taking from some of the fish that come in the bay, but aren't the rec's doing that now? My understanding is they don't want the quota increased, they just want a bigger share of what is being caught.

Fish Nut said. "The question is why would they want to increase the quota. It is my understating that they have not reached there max quota in years."

Read the info on the ASMFC site, your understanding is not correct.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM

It is important to note that my understanding is that the desire is to not increase the size of the pie, just change the size of the slices along the coast. It wouldnt directly impact the Chesapeake Bay, only the coastal fishery. However it would show a mindset that commercial fishing for striped bass is gaining in value to ASMFC, NOAA, and the Dept of Commerce. I dont see how it can be justified given the far greater socio-economic value of the fish as a gamefish vs. the commercial market. It is clear that if anything the trend should continue to grow for the recreational allocation at the expense of the commercial side as there is no indication that market needs arent being met for the fish commercially. There are many clear indications that the needs for the fish on the recreational side arent being met.

Reds, While i am not sure where I stand on gamefish only status, you said it has been tried in Maryland. I am a born and raised NJ boy so I missed those actions and cannot find anything on that. Was there a legislative bill at one point and time or was it something that was attempted through DNR?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Default B-Faithful is right on (as always) and so is Reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I am told that the issue of increasing the coastal commercial allocation is going to public comment. This will be an important test to the recreational fortitude. This will be an allocation issue as in order to increase the commercial allocation it MUST be taken from the recreational side. In other words, they will take fish away from recreational anglers to give to the commercial side. This is crazy given the growing need and desire for these fish on the recreational side and the far greater socio-economic benefits of recreational fishing over commercial fishing. I hope if this is the case that the hornets nest is beat and recreational anglers speak loudly and clearly!

This is what I have been told but I am waiting for confimation to see if this actually the case. Keep yer eyes pealed!

I was there yesterday as a Commissioner to the Potomac River Fisheries Commission and agreed that we, PRFC, as a voting member SHOULD vote yes in favor of the plan to put this to public comment. And that is all this is.

The issue is more complex than meets the eye. In the end, it is a re-allocation issue to the coastal commercial harvest which is a very small component of the overall harvest. I believe the total coastal harvest is around 9%.

Reds is correct in his statment, recreational harvest has incresaed many times over. In fact, recreational discards account for more than commercial harvests in some fisheries. There is no parity in striped bass allocations, rec's win hands down.

Do I want to see more commercial harvest - not really. Would I prefer striped bass as gamefish? Absolutely. Did I support yesterdays "yes" vote. Absolutely.

Now the ball is in the court of recreational fisherman to GET OFF THEIR ASSSES and let their voices be heard. I think this is the same thought process taking place by MD DNR. Is this a political move - you bet it is, ASMFC is a political entity, hence the politics.

As a recreational fisherman and a fishing guide I take my VACATION time to attend these things for the betterment of recreational fisherman. My pay is $0. I will be the first to oppose the increased allocation but will do so through the democratic process and because of my greedy desire to catch more and bigger fish striped bass. What will my fellow anglers do, - pound their chest on the internet and talk about how unfair this whole thing is?

Even if this re-allocation does pass, it really is status quo for overall harvest. It just comes at the expense of recreational allocations being given to commercials.

As for poaching - ASMFC is working on this issue as well. But before we get holier than thou, who is doing the winter poaching off of Virginia and North Carolina? It is done by commercial fisherman, charter fisherman and recreational fisherman. All user groups. Just recently, NOAA has urged the USCG to suspend the USCG Captains License which requires license holders to obey US laws, and fishing for striped bass outside the 3 mile limit is against US law. No license - no business.

Once again, this whole thing is way more complex than meets the eye. Come join the process, get educated and be part of the solution.

So I am not hiding behind an internet screen name, my personal info is: Dennis Fleming - Mechanicsville, MD (240) 538-1260
Maryland Commissioner - Potomac River Fisheries Commission - Fishamajig Guide Service

"It is easy to find fault - much harder to find solution." - Henry Ford

Last edited by Fishamajig; 05-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.