Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Blood in the water

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...mplicated.html

Here's a more comprehensive story about the boat that went down off NJ yesterday. It's a perfect example of how people will take risks when fishing time is limited. Yes, it was the end of the season for that part of the ocean, but they were fishing in rough conditions because they couldn't fish the next day. The principle is the same. People will take risks they shouldn't take when their time is limited. I hope this has the impact on the "limiting days" crowd that it's had on me. It's staggering.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"

Last edited by Shawn Kimbro; 11-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...mplicated.html

Here's a more comprehensive story about the boat that went down off NJ yesterday. It's a perfect example of how people will take risks when fishing time is limited. Yes, it was the end of the season for that part of the ocean, but they were fishing in rough conditions because they couldn't fish the next day. The principle is the same. People will take risks they shouldn't take when their time is limited. I hope this has the impact on the "limiting days" crowd that it's had on me. It's staggering.
Nice pull Shawn...the commissioners don't want to acknowledge this will happen, but it's gonna happen, and you are gonna see some small boats out in some real bad weather. Then when something happens and someone is hurt, or worse, killed, in today's society, the first thing they are going to do is hire a lawyer and sue those responsible for putting the regs in place. I don't believe these limited days will have any beneficial effect on the spawners, but I do believe they will have an adverse effect on some fishermen for just the reason you point out. Fishermen are a family, and I don't want to lose any family members over some BS regs!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the link Shawn. That does cover it with a little more detail than the one initially posted over on TF. I really doubt that DNR is going to go with the day limitation proposal from BW. This incident should insure that. Well, we will know where they stand within the next 24 hours....Don
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Save the fish; kill the fishermen. What a great philosophy. I'm glad I can get away from that "other" board and it's founder. 5th (Marty)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Some on the other board have stated that they believe the safety concerns over day closures to be weak is nieve. It is real. Even if they will blame it on the individual and say it is personal responsibility, it still effects us all as tax payers. Should people make the wrong decisions it costs dearly and puts a huge strain on our system for unneccessary search and rescue operations.

Thanks for posting shawn as a reminder. May the families of the loved ones find comfort...
Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Some on the other board have stated that they believe the safety concerns over day closures to be weak is nieve. It is real. Even if they will blame it on the individual and say it is personal responsibility, it still effects us all as tax payers. Should people make the wrong decisions it costs dearly and puts a huge strain on our system for unneccessary search and rescue operations.
Absolutely....Even that article provided by Shawn's link hightlighted your point exactly..."The NMFS regulations, imposed nearly 15 years ago to protect against overfishing, have made fishermen take risks they wouldn’t usually take, Rose said"....Don