Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Boating, the little discussed side....

Come on guys, you've all seen them. You all actually USE your boats regularly but you've all seen 'em....you know what I'm talking about. The DRIVEWAY QUEENS! I have a neighbor to remain unnamed...he owns a beautiful boat, probably 24-26' long, only a couple of years old. Last year, he took it out a grand total of ONE TIME! This year, he took it out the morning after my daughter and I brought our boat home....hmmmm. Last year I asked him why he never took it out and he mumbled something about his wife always insisting that her brothers family come along, and the fact that said brother in law never chips in for food or gas...so for that, he makes his boat payment every month but never actually uses his boat! Personally, I'd tell my wife that tightwad can't come but maybe he handed over his "manhood" to his wife when he got married. My other neighbor down the street, who also never clocks hours, dutifully washes his covered boat. You know, in the spring when the pollen is dropping from the oaks, he'll scrub the cover, same during the summer and fall. My baby and I were trying to figure out if he's trying to make it look like he actually uncovers it and uses it once in a while since neither of us has ever seen the cover off the boat, or the boat missing from the driveway. What the deal with that?

I'm all understanding about having more then one hobby and what having multiple children and their schedules will do to your plans on a weekend. I've also seen some beautiful boats go to trash while never burning an ounce of fuel.

Or the boat that has broke but the owner makes payments, but won't fix his engine? What kind of financial sense does it make to make payments on something that you can't use for want of a $300 repair bill? It happens, I saw it more then once while I was shopping. The best one was when I arrived to look at a 22' cuddy with a 150 outboard that needed a carb repair(marina quoted him 300 he said) and the owner told me that he's selling it because he doesn't use it and he doesn't want the payment anymore...ok, fair enough I thought.....then I asked when it last ran and he tells me 3.5 years ago! I actually had to turn my head so I wasn't rude.

My last all time favorite is the expression "needs TLC".....I probably looked at close to 40 boats before buying. One owner of a "needs TLC" boat had a TREE growing in the cockpit!! That is not "needs TLC", thats "need renovation"! My God, he had so much crud in the back that a tree took root...and the tree was a good 12-15 feet tall!!

So guys, tell me your favs, you all have more experience then I do, maybe you can tell me why people throw their money away.

Just having a little fun,

erad
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by eradicator; 09-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Trying to logically justify boat purchase or spending can be tough. For many people boat ownership is a dream. Sometime people are not willing to give up the dream even when facts and circumstances say otherwise.

It breaks my heart to ride around Middle River on a nice Saturday or Sunday in the summer and see 98% of all the boats still in the marina.

I have a two year old son, and another on the way. There will come a time in the not so distant future when soccer practice, piano lessons, birthday parties etc leave almost no time for fishing. I don't think I could ever be boatless though. Washing and waxing the boat will bring back fond memories of days when I was out fishing every weekend.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM

They probably all bought the boats using ARMs and now they can't afford gas and the payment. Or their rental properties aren't producing like they used to.

I know that fateful summer gas hit $5/gal on the water, I definitely used my boat a good bit less than previously. And then I got married the next year and BAM there goes more fishing time out the window. Now I work in NW DC and double-BAM now I never get out in the afternoon/evening!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 AM

The " average " boat owner puts 50 hours on his boat a year.
Figure an average day is about 6-7 hours - that would be 7 or 8 trips a year.

I think many buy a boat before researching the true cost. They find out quickly how expensive a boat is to run and maintain.

Just insurance , trailer tags , boat reg , fishing license can be over $500.00 - before the boat even gets wet.

I tell people that unless they plan to use a boat 50 times a year or more - it will be far cheaper to charter a boat when they want to go.

I see some awesome 40 to 50 foot sportfisherman that have never left the docks to go offshore. Now / then a family boat ride across the bay but not how that boat - IMHO - should be used.

I hate to see nice boats in winter left uncovered -
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Shouldn't you guys be fishing or joy riding rather then worrying about other people's boats or boating habits?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 PM

I know a guy (retired) who bought a new 1801 Parker in 2001......he's now selling.......boat has slightly over 100 hours total in 9 years.......has it dealer maintained and winterized every year.....then sits at his dock.....what a shame.

Anyone interested in a good boat at a good price lemme know and I'll get you in touch with him.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 AM

When I began looking for a boat a couple of months ago, I was sorely temped just to go up to a couple of homes where they each had a nice looking boat parked on the side and ask if they wanted to sell it. I figured there were some awlful good deals out there but that some folks just never got around to listing them for sale....in the end, I didn't do it...but I sure was tempted.

I grew up on the water and a LOT of people back in the 70's used to buy boats as status symbols. They never had any intention on using them much, just showing off that they had it. Kind of insecure to me but I'm not their shrink.

Have a great day everyone,

erad
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by eradicator; 09-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The " average " boat owner puts 50 hours on his boat a year.
Figure an average day is about 6-7 hours - that would be 7 or 8 trips a year.

I think many buy a boat before researching the true cost. They find out quickly how expensive a boat is to run and maintain.

Just insurance , trailer tags , boat reg , fishing license can be over $500.00 - before the boat even gets wet.

I tell people that unless they plan to use a boat 50 times a year or more - it will be far cheaper to charter a boat when they want to go.

I see some awesome 40 to 50 foot sportfisherman that have never left the docks to go offshore. Now / then a family boat ride across the bay but not how that boat - IMHO - should be used.

I hate to see nice boats in winter left uncovered -
50 trips a year is a lot. I wish I could take 50 trips a year in my boat. I probably do 30 a year. If I knew a charter that was open and available on nice days with 24 hours notice, and was willing to meet me whereever I wanted to fish, then I would be all over it.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Bend a lure - some charters will give a good discount for booking a lot of trips.
Trick is finding a captain you get along with and who fishes the way you want to.

I know one charter has been booked on Wednesdays by 6 guys for something like 15 years.
The group pays if all or only 1-2 can go.

I sat down with pen / paper and figured expenses for a year - then divided that by $120.00 ( average share on a charter ). I could charter twice a week - at least. Most years I get out 75 to 100 times so it kinda works out.
Then figure in fishing gear / lures / etc - it really adds up fast.

When a $$$$$ break down occurs - then it really hurts owning a boat.

For me - owning a boat is worth it but far too many really do not get their money back.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Come on guys, you've all seen them. You all actually USE your boats regularly but you've all seen 'em....you know what I'm talking about. The DRIVEWAY QUEENS! I have a neighbor to remain unnamed...he owns a beautiful boat, probably 24-26' long, only a couple of years old. Last year, he took it out a grand total of ONE TIME! This year, he took it out the morning after my daughter and I brought our boat home....hmmmm. Last year I asked him why he never took it out and he mumbled something about his wife always insisting that her brothers family come along, and the fact that said brother in law never chips in for food or gas...so for that, he makes his boat payment every month but never actually uses his boat! Personally, I'd tell my wife that tightwad can't come but maybe he handed over his "manhood" to his wife when he got married. My other neighbor down the street, who also never clocks hours, dutifully washes his covered boat. You know, in the spring when the pollen is dropping from the oaks, he'll scrub the cover, same during the summer and fall. My baby and I were trying to figure out if he's trying to make it look like he actually uncovers it and uses it once in a while since neither of us has ever seen the cover off the boat, or the boat missing from the driveway. What the deal with that?

I'm all understanding about having more then one hobby and what having multiple children and their schedules will do to your plans on a weekend. I've also seen some beautiful boats go to trash while never burning an ounce of fuel.

Or the boat that has broke but the owner makes payments, but won't fix his engine? What kind of financial sense does it make to make payments on something that you can't use for want of a $300 repair bill? It happens, I saw it more then once while I was shopping. The best one was when I arrived to look at a 22' cuddy with a 150 outboard that needed a carb repair(marina quoted him 300 he said) and the owner told me that he's selling it because he doesn't use it and he doesn't want the payment anymore...ok, fair enough I thought.....then I asked when it last ran and he tells me 3.5 years ago! I actually had to turn my head so I wasn't rude.

My last all time favorite is the expression "needs TLC".....I probably looked at close to 40 boats before buying. One owner of a "needs TLC" boat had a TREE growing in the cockpit!! That is not "needs TLC", thats "need renovation"! My God, he had so much crud in the back that a tree took root...and the tree was a good 12-15 feet tall!!

So guys, tell me your favs, you all have more experience then I do, maybe you can tell me why people throw their money away.

Just having a little fun,

erad
Throwing money away! My two boys bought a 1987 23' I/O four cyl.130 cu. Bayliner. total cost=$3600. The engine blew in a few weeks. I felt sorry for them and Had a brand new factory Mercury Marine replacement engine dropped in.Total cost with mechanics' fees=$6700. The boys were so gratefull they cheap'ed out on the bottom paint and blew the new engine trying get on plain with 4" of barnicales on the bottom. The mechanic said the engine was toast. total cost=$1800. Now it sits in the yard and they don't have any money to fix it? But they just went charter fishing off the coast of N.Carolina.Total cost=$1500. Go figure!