Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Getting jiggy 10/11

Well after a long absence from fishing due to health and weather issues, I FINNALLY made it back out on the water for some fishing! The decision was made to troll the flats between 7' knoll and out into the Craighill channel because of some Intel I received earlier in the week. Tide was right for us older folks 1250 at north point so we departed Bodkin creek at around 0800 blew over bodkin point at 30 knts and was greeted to s.w. winds at around 5 k and flat seas. Put a combo out of Capt. Johns spoon spreaders, bucktails, tsunamis, kitchen sink, you name it! Trolled from 8:30 until around 12:00 in this general area without as mush as a tap, nothing, nada. Marked a ton of bait but no real fish to speak of. Decided to trim up into the Ptap. Torwards the Brewerton, made the right and began heading towards Jeffs side of the bay. Gave that about a hour and got tired of mowing the sea grass on the sides of the channel. Man, I have not seen that much sea grass in the channel in god knows how long, guess that's a good thing! Pulled the lines around 1400 and told the guys, let's go casting to the birds and try to save the day!found several pods of birds working breaking fish, and just as I suspected nothing but dinks! Started noticing some really nice slicks outside the birds and figured what the hell. First cast into the slick, I let the 1/2 oz jig with white 4" split tail gulp sink to the bottom jigged it twice and game on! After a short battle a fat 31 1/2" in the cooler. Kept at it for a good 1 1/2 hours and constant action. Wound up with a 31 1/2, 32 and 33 1/2. Could not get our unders to save our lives. I still have not caught a damn thing on Capt. Johns spoon spreaders but I can tell you when you drag them through sea grass they MOW right through it, literally. I know they catch, been with Marty and Capt. John and caught the hell out of them. So while I'm out I'm texting Marty, I knew he was in church, and told him the bite was on but he responded he was spending the day with the Mrs. And I totally understood but still felt sorry for him that he couldn't get out. Sent him a text with final count and sizes. Well let me tell you what, I arrive back at the marina, here's Marty, ready to launch the judge! He checks out our catch, can't believe I did it on my own and then askes me if I can help launch the judge. Well I help him get her in, park the jap truck, lock it and hand him the keys. As I was walking down the dock after a last check of my boat, here comes Marty walking down the pier with a jigging rod while his wife is sitting on next pier enjoying the sun! Don't know what happened next! Oh, buy the way all the large fish came from between the Ptap. Weather buoy and the eastern channel ranges. If ya don't know, don't ask. That's as specific as I can get, really wasn't paying too much attention at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Mako mike; 10-12-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46 PM

I will tell you Mike's secret since he made fun of my "Jap" truck; let your gulp baits dry out until they are like beef jerky, then use them

Nice catch; I was (and still am) jealous
5th
Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Mike,

Really nice fish...I was in the same area on Sunday and ended up getting several nice fish in the 2 foot range, all of which I got trolling several different weights of bucktails with twisters on them. For me Belvedere has been on fire for a week or more...

Last week was a great week...Scott and I caught close to 80 fish on Wednesday with some keeper sized fish mixed in, there was another night I got out and jigged for about 30 fish...

All of this was above Baltimore light....on top of that the fish have seemed to "radiate" from the Belvedere area....I know that does not make sense, but the further away I have moved from that area the less fish I have caught. Most of the fish have been caught in 25 foot or less of water on some combination of bucktails, rattle traps, and top water lures...

Hope to get out this week again...Work is killing me but I am trying to get out for an hour or two when I can.

Sounds like we are all having a decent start to the fall.

Mike
Old 10-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Damn it Mako, now all you Western Shore folk are gonna figure out the ES really is God's Country. Pretty work Pilgrim!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
Damn it Mako, now all you Western Shore folk are gonna figure out the ES really is God's Country. Pretty work Pilgrim!
I always carry a travel visa when crossing the bay. I also put up a yellow quarantine flag as soon as I cross the Craighill channel and if I do make landfall I will not allow anyone to disembark until first rum and coke I cleared by me at the Shore Shack.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
I always carry a travel visa when crossing the bay. I also put up a yellow quarantine flag as soon as I cross the Craighill channel and if I do make landfall I will not allow anyone to disembark until first rum and coke I cleared by me at the Shore Shack.
Now that sounds like a good plan!!