Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 03:06 PM

The DNR representatives emphasized several times that plans are already under way at DNR to look very hard at the "entire" fishery. Reading between the lines last night makes me feel as if there will possibly be big changes coming in 2011. I look for a shortened spring season as well as additional restrictions on all anglers. The purpose of the 6 rod limit per DNR was to limit "encounters" with the pre-spawn fish. I would not be surprised if additional restrictions to limit "encounters" will be imposed during the catch and kill season as well. Stay tuned!.........................Mark
Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM

Mark, I didn't want to be so direct. I was talking to a DNR official a few days ago. I came away from the conversation with the same felling. As you say stay tuned…….

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM

I think the MCBA will be sorry they ever put a microscope on the spring spawning season. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM

think they will fight for an exemption citing larger parties and need for efficiency?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Baldzilla

I somehow totally missed this one...not spending enough time on these boards anymore. Marty where were you to tell me???
Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Mark (Baldzilla); the new DNR lady was too pretty. If you had been there, you would have just babbled on and on about nothing. Even I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Skip offered to take her out fishing, I was leaning more toward dinner. Sorry you missed it. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 PM

- I could guess by her answers - she had never been out on a spring C/R trip - so - it seemed only proper to invite her.

Think the wife will buy that ?

Sad when the one's in charge have never done it.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:00 PM

Sad when the one's in charge have never done it.[/QUOTE]

That's too easy Skip. I'd better not comment. 5th (Marty)
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I think the MCBA will be sorry they ever put a microscope on the spring spawning season. 5th (Marty)
Why try to split the recreational user group?

What you seem to be forgetting is the charter people are trying to make a living.... Food, housing and boat payments depend on a viable Striped Bass fishery in the Chesapeake. The appearance of mistreatment of fish during Catch and Release only periods, could weigh heavily on ASMFC decisions.

Pushing for payback for the sake of getting even, will only divide the user group at a time when all should stick together.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Pushing for payback for the sake of getting even, will only divide the user group at a time when all should stick together.[/QUOTE]

Now we should all work together. Good luck with that.
I don't think the rec's are the ones you need to worry about. I think the genie is out of the bottle. Now that DNR is going to take a close look at the whole fishery; my opinion is that more restristions are coming next year, and they will include charters as well. I certainly understand how stressed your business is in this economy; and I feel for you. I just don't understand why the MCBA asked DNR to LOOK at the PSCR fishing and complain that we were harassing those prespawn fish. All this while KNOWING that your business is partially based on KILLING those same prespawn fish two weeks later. DNR has you on record stating that if just one prespawn female is harassed and doesn't drop her millions of eggs, the fishery is impacted. They also have one of your representatives (Keene I think), on record stating that when we had the slot limit, all those slot fish he tossed back died.
Now in the name of conservation, what do you think DNR is going to do in the future? They can't expand C/R; the eggs are in jepordy. They can't adopt a slot limit; all the throwbacks die. What's left, NO TARGETING STRIPERS UNTIL MAY 1st.
I can see them proposing this. Then everyone gets involved (charters, MSSA, RFA, etc.) and another compromise comes about. It will say no planner boards (or reduced length), continuation of only six rods into the season, and circle hooks all year for bait.
All this will increase stocks; and after all, this is what you advocated. I may be wrong, but this is like a chess match; you have to try to see what your opponent (DNR) is going to do several moves ahead. Unfortunatley; the MCBA has been playing checkers, not chess.
Only time will tell. 5th (Marty)