Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Tough bite out there

Fished this morning and yesterday morning. Caught a 27" and 34" yesterday and two 30" today. All 4 fish were caught on the same rod - weird. Red hose on planers still working for me. Fished just above Love Point in 25-35'. Saw a guy rowing his Jon boat toward Rock Hall so gave him a tow to the campground hoping for some good karma but it didn't help. Fished until 10:30 then called it quits. Did have a knockdown today on a tsunami umbrella but must have hit a teaser cause it unbuttoned quickly. Also lost a tail to a blue on a tandem bucktail. Just ran 7 boat rods, no boards.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Jeff, any signs of life? Last Thursday, CB area, we had birds and bait on the surface. Small rock but big blues were driving bait to the surface.

Earlier in the week, I saw no sign of life north of the bridge. Plenty of bait on the meter, but nothing molesting it from below. It was almost as if the fish were feeding for a short time during the tide, then just laid below watching my lures go past them

I'll try again this week north of the bridge (boat in slip Bodkin Creek) but I may time my trip around the "major" tide if possible.
5th
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM

Yesterday was horrible for Scott
And I from love point to balt light.

Saw some decent bait, but nothing hit
Spoons, tandems, stretches, and
4" rattles....

Where is the bite ?
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Saw a lot of bait, some of which got a few birds working but I picked up nothing going thru it. What I have heard is that the bite is ok one day and not too good the next. Evening bite might be better than morning. Past 2 weeks have been screwed up off Rock Hall. Most trollers are pulling boards. I would mark a knot of fish and pick up one, then turn tight as hell to try and hit them again and couldn't find them. This happened EVERY time we hooked up this weekend. And it wasn't just me, it was everyone I talked to. It was very tough to even find a school of fish (hence the boards I assume) in the first place. When I did, they were all suspended about 20', not on bottom.
When I towed the Jon boat in towards Rock Hall, there was a lot of marks in the shallower water in by Hickory Thicket(<20') but was told by 2 different people these were all bluefish. Lots of bait and many fish marks were there though. Tried trolling through on the way back out to the fishing grounds but caught nothing. (BTW, Guys did offer us money and beer for the tow but we declined. Nice of them to offer though. )

Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Fished on my friends 21' on Satrurday and managed 4 fish 26-28" before the rain chased us in. We were drifting eels on some of the drop offs and oyster humps above the bridge.
Not fast and furious but slow pick All fish nice and healthy.
I figured if Jeff can get 'em draging a piece of rubber hose around behind the boat, the real thing may work even better.
I'll be out Friday and Saturday.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Well, Lou (and his wife Pat) have a restored faith in my abilities. Pat loves fresh rockfish, and the last two trips on my boat left her with hunger pangs in her belly.
I have been laying GPS tracks all over the eastern shore, from just above the sewer pipe all the way to Rock Hall. The last two trips have been stinky smelly skunks in that area.
So today, I was determined to try somewhere else We put 9 rock and 1 blue in the boat today. Nothing big, but some nice clean 22 - 24 inch fish. I cut off the hoses that Jeff is catching on, and put out my Captain John Spoons on 1,2 and 3 planers with better success

I have to admit, we had a much better tide today than the last two times out. It was ripping past the buoys. The last couple of trips I had a hard time telling that the tide was even moving
What was really fun, was to see a " knot" of fish on the meter, and be able to say, "watch your rods" and actually have some go down.
5th
Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 PM

You know what they say on the "right" side of the bay- don't turn up your nose to the red hose! Ok, I just made that up. Glad to hear you guys are catching with other methods too, leaves all the big fish for me!!

I hit the tackle shop today and bought some secret weapons. I'll have to see if they work like they should.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 AM

[QUOTE=
I hit the tackle shop today and bought some secret weapons. I'll have to see if they work like they should.[/QUOTE]

Quarter sticks of dynamite
5th
Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessie27 View Post
You know what they say on the "right" side of the bay- don't turn up your nose to the red hose! Ok, I just made that up. Glad to hear you guys are catching with other methods too, leaves all the big fish for me!!

I hit the tackle shop today and bought some secret weapons. I'll have to see if they work like they should.
Dr. Jeff,
You gonna pull surgical tubes on one side and scalpels on the other
It just might work. When they come in too look at the tubes they get nailed by the scalpels. Next, you're going to need a nurse for a first mate

bhl (Bruce)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM

How did you figure it out?? That way I can fillet and release without getting my hands dirty.
I already have a nurse for a mate- Margaret!!