Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Saturday was a real bear. Jeff did the best he could. He traveled all the way from Tolchester (above Rock Hall) to Bloody Point The winds made it hard to get the speed correct and nobody was tearing them up. Margaret had the best food for a group of fishermen. We had steamed shrimp, beef and turkey rolls, and of course Twizzlers She even had small (maybe 8 oz) beers so we didn't have to worry about our svelte figures
We knew of several boats out (maybe 8 to 10) and only 2 boats caught fish (congratulations Skip).

Today, Sunday, was much better conditions. Winds below 10 mph and several boats were catching or at least getting knockdowns (no stinger hooks).

I think when we put out our whole spread, we will be ok. The Charters may have a more difficult time filling their boxes with the slot limit, but it looks like we may have fish for a good while this trophy season.

Moved the boat to Deale (thanks Tawn for the use of your slip). Almost time to get the rest of the rods down south for Opening Day
5th
Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 AM

The rest of the rods? As many trips you make down the pier yesterday for your departure south there is still room on the boat for more!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:16 AM

Moved the boat to Deal Sunday for the spring season. Slowed down enough to troll 6 rods and had 2 knock downs but nothing came tight. Did manage to land a bunch of jelly fish Water looks much better down there than the upper bay.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 04-13-2015 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 PM

Wow; that took long enough I can't remember a season where I have been fishless up until two days before the season opener. First the not so good news; only saw one gannet today out of Deale. The bay was flat and if gannets had been around, I would have expected them to be diving everywhere:roll eyes:

Good news is that I saw more bait than all the other trips combined. It wasn't a ton of bait (remember when we used to snag alewives with our spread), but at least it was steady. Can't say I saw a lot of fish marks around it or near it, but hey, sometimes we have to take what's available.

Fish hit a board rod (umb) out 5 bars. I only had 4 of the six rods deployed when it got crushed. Luckily, I was setting the spread; so I got to grab the rod

Single barbless hook had me worried. I have to get at least one PSCR fish

Not the biggest fish I've ever caught, but it made me happy. Probable a slot fish; we didn't measure. Took a quick pic and back she went. The most challenging part of the whole deal was trying to explain to Lou how to take a photo

Stayed in 29-38 ft (best marks) and only trolled two hours. Main purpose today was to load all Trophy Season rods on boat and take off the PSCR lures and bring them home at the end of the day.

Below is a pic of the fish and then a pic of the chart plotter showing bait directly under boat, and to port.

Good luck to everyone, this will be my last PSCR post.

p.s. Captain John was out north of me and picked up one fish as well.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.jpg (91.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 PM

Pic of the fish finder
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1717.jpg (95.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Hey 5th how was the water down there
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 PM

Nice to see you get over the skunk Marty. I think I'm gonna stay north since my crew has never trolled with boards before. I have this feeling I'm going to have a mess, lol.
Does anyone know how much junk is in the water north of the bridge?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Fueled the boat this afternoon and there was a couple prop benders floating in the marina! I didn't even stick my nose out to see what the waters looked like out front. I'm going to try my lucky above the bridge as well (as close to our Uncle's Stamas as I can get ).
Good luck with the boards, we'll be close by if you need to put anyone off the boat.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 PM

Water out front of Deale was great. I saw where Skip was out of Sandy Point and had stained/dirty water

For the most part; water stays clean south of Thomas Point. I can only remember a time or two when water was dirty as far south as Bloody.

Any debris in the water plays hell with the board lines. They either pick up small sticks and "drag" around all afternoon, or a big branch clears one side of the boat:roll eyes:

With the day looking so nice (winds <10 and 70*) there will be a bunch of boats out there. Be careful everyone; have fun.
5th

Check out the water in the pic (flat and clean)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.jpg (91.1 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 04-16-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM

Got 2 off Bloody Point - one good hit off Severn. Water quality gets dirty once north of # 86. Both 99% slot size and 99% full of roe by looks of belly.

Marty - I use PSCR lures all year. Why take off lures that I know are working ?

I had very little bait except for one thick school just south of Mattapeake. Snagged two of them - Tony # 19 size Menhaden.