Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Cool Another Bubba Released - Bloody Point 12/16

Sure glad I didn't catch a ride down to Point Lookout yesterday!

Instead, I slept in and headed out solo at 8:30am.

I found hundreds of big birds right at the mouth of the Severn in 25-35', and although I saw some marks on bottom, I couldn't get a bite jigging. Worked my way south of 85a and found miles of sea ducks in 30' of water, but none of the birds I was looking for. Headed across to 84a where we caught a few dozen 9"-13.25" perch on Saturday afternoon, but only managed to jig up a single 8" rockfish.

By 10:15am the current was starting to slow down so I figured chances for catching anything jigging were gone and I decided to put out the planer boards and 17 rods (since I was solo, I gave myself a break and didn't put out all 19). I wasn't expecting much action, but hoped to get at least a few fish. I thought about running some small baits based on recent reports, but put out my normal spread of all 9" baits, Bloody Point tandems off boards 10-14 bars back and big umbrellas with 2 Bloody Point Parachutes, each, except one deep umbrella I replaced with a spoonbrella with Tony 17's.

I was marking fish mostly deep in 80' of water and deeper. Caught smallest fish of the day at 24" on unweighted chartreuse umbrella back 250' while putting out lines in 80' of water, and made my way over toward the deep water off Bloody Point.

The bite turned on a bit after noon and kept me busy until about 2:30pm. I ended up with 8 fish, most of which were 27-28", and a 33" and a 45"! They hit everything from deep spoonbrella and umbrellas to long board rods and short board rods. It was nice that my efforts to put full spread out paid off with everything getting hit.

Getting the big fish in the boat was a challenge solo, and a bit comical... every time I put the rod in the holder so I could grab the net, the fish would take off and pull drag... amazing and fortunate that she didn't find her way into any of the other lines. 3rd try and I managed to get her in the boat for a measurement and photo and then she was released. She was caught on a Chartreuse/Green 4/8oz Bloody Point tandem 10 bars back off the boards. The other big fish came off the boards as well.

Fishing in just a tshirt, with flat water and bright sunshine and hardly another boat in sight, it was an amazing way to end the season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 incher - Dec 2015.jpg (98.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20151216_160657.jpg (95.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20151216_170650.jpg (91.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 01:37 PM

Nice job Jason! You certainly know that area around Bloody Point well. Always fun and a challenge fishing by yourself. End of season? I figured you would keep fishing for awhile anyway. Depending on weather, I may be out there on Sunday or at the beach seabassin.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Awesome fish Jason. See you didnt need to spend all that time travelling to have a good day!
Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM

Congrats on a great day & close to home! You are Da Man!! (Even though Marty beat you in the CBA tourney )