Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Hit the water early this morning and caught some spot (decent size) near the bridge. Put about 20 in the livewell and hit the pilings with an incoming tide. We picked up 8 fish; with only 2 boated. Why only 2 boated? Because 6 were nasty looking and we didn't want to even bring them into the boat, dehooker works well for these fish.

It was about this time last year that we left the bridge and headed south to pick up cleaner fish near poplar island.

I know that some of the marks on the fish can be attributed to scraping the pilings or contact with crab pots, but not some of the nasty stuff we saw today.

So here is my question, we saw a comercial hook and liner (last Thursday) bailing fish and only tossing over some obviously small fish back over the side. Do you think the comercial guys keep some of these sick fish (ones not too badly marked) and sell them to wholesalers? Once fileted; you will never know what the skin looked like. Is there a "standard" that the wholesalers use to buy fish? I might stay away from "fresh rockfish" on the menu the rest of the summer (for me personally).

I hope someone like "Reds" jumps in here to enlighten us. I would assume there is some control over sale of rock, and the condition of the fish.

There was another boat out there with us today and he caught mostly good looking fish with only a few bad ones. I'm glad his experience was just the opposite of ours. Because our ratio was so bad, I just had to ask.

5th (Marty)
If there are sores on them my wholesaler won't buy them. He also doesn't buy fillets. Most wholesalers have there own people to fillet fish.
The company I sell to is large.

People will not buy fish that do not present well.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Reds; thanks for your perspective. Good to know about your supplier.
5th (Marty)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Mikie and Reds,
Thanks for your comments on this thread. It makes sense that wholesalers only accept healthy fish that have been well preserved since their catch. I am glad to see its an ongoing practice.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"