Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Default 9/14 Bay Conditions

We have charters schuduled for Fri. and Sun. so we poked our heads out to scout the bay. What a mess!!! Fairly significant debris from Deale to the Power Plant. The water was so muddy that when you looked across the water, it looked like sand on a beach.

We found a small patch of clean water inside the choptank (near the little choptank) and picked up a nice rock and about 10 nice blues. As the tide ran, you could see the clean patch getting smaller and smaller. Our circles got smaller as well, until the patch totally disappeared.

Birds were not flying, most were sitting on wooden debris and just taking it easy. I swear, I don't know if they could have seen through the water looking for bait anyway. When we dropped our lures over, they disappeared about 12-18 inches down.

We decided to cancel our charters so the customers would have a better shot at fish latter this fall.

On a secondary note: Last week when I came across the South river, you could see the mud in the river and a goodlooking bay. Today, I saw a goodlooking South River, and a muddy bay. Maybe things are changing for the better.

Be safe out there.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM

was a mess in the northern bay last night as well.....

Not as much small debris, but a lot more barrels, tires, 20 to 30 foot trees, planks, etc...

The mouths of the rivers and creeks are getting the worst during tide changes....

And yeah the water quality was flat horrible....we got a couple fish and one decent striper for 3 hours of work....but it was the color of hot chocolate with extra cream..:-(

Conditions for boating are unsafe for most folks now....I am hoping the wind and tides move a lot more of this mess down and out of the bay in the next few days..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Yesterday around noon things looked good around the Rod N Reel in Chesapeake Beach...there were charters and crabbing boats running full throttle up and down the bay and back into the marina.

Water color was "normal"......