Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Default Marine Stereo Systems?

I need to replace the cd/ipod player on my boat since it was submerged last year. I had a $99 Bass Pro special on there that worked fine.

My question is this: Do I really NEED a "marine" system on the boat? It will be in a dry box and mounted where there's little chance of it getting wet.

Are the "marine" systems really built any diferently than a unit you would put in your truck or car?

I don't need anything fancy....just something to plug my ipod into really.

I'll probably still just go get a marine unit since they're less than $100 on sale usually, but I was just curious as to what really differentiates most of them.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Spot77, I too am looking to get a new system. The set up West Marine has for like $79.00 doesn't appear to be bad but watch the speakers. I pulled a speaker off my boat Sat. and found it to be 60 watts. So 60 watts X 4 speakers is 240 watts from the stereo itself. Doubt West Marine systems are that powerfull. Their speakers are only 25-30 watts each. My stereo is inside the cabin but two speakers are out in the open near the stern. They are the ones that go bad. I can't see why you need a "marine" type stereo but the exposed speakers should be water resistant/waterproof.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Spot77, I too am looking to get a new system. The set up West Marine has for like $79.00 doesn't appear to be bad but watch the speakers. I pulled a speaker off my boat Sat. and found it to be 60 watts. So 60 watts X 4 speakers is 240 watts from the stereo itself. Doubt West Marine systems are that powerfull. Their speakers are only 25-30 watts each. My stereo is inside the cabin but two speakers are out in the open near the stern. They are the ones that go bad. I can't see why you need a "marine" type stereo but the exposed speakers should be water resistant/waterproof.
Another old thread, but I'll share my experience so far.

I bought a cheap, made in China off name unit from ebay for like $60. It came with 2 cheap speakers and a remote. I ditched the speakers for a pair of JBL's (marine grade) I had here.

The unit fit in my waterproof case from the old unit perfectly, and the wiring was simple.

Since my boat is just a little open bow kind of boat I don't need to worry about pushing too much power to get good volume. It's plenty loud at 25 watts and the clarity is pretty decent. The speakers I'm using aren't great, but I'm sure they're much better than the flimsy things that came with the unit.

I'm pretty impressed with the remote. I can sit on the back of the boat and it works the whole 2.2 feet to the unit.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM

IMHO - any stereo less then 50,000 watts is worthless

Seriously - the real difference in a marine radio is how the board gets treated and O ring seals.

Salt air often finds a way in but they do hold up better then a regular radio.

The cases with a O ring seal help too.

One tip - be sure to play it / tune it at least once a month - even in winter.
Helps keep everything in working order.

Using tinned wired for speakers goes a long way too.