Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Default What's Next?

OK; Lets assume the upcoming YOY index is not going to be a glowing affirmation on the restrictions placed on C/R spring fishing.

What do you think the next round of ineffective restrictions will contain?

I thought I would post this now so we could speculate on this before Maryland decides how it is going to vote on the question of increasing the quota for coastal netters this October.

5th (Marty)
Old 09-25-2010, 12:28 PM

Cool

I think they are going to do the following:

1> One Rod per two boats within the same "spot burned" area.

2> Only allowed to use lures with the hooks removed during trophy season.

3> Stinger hooks allowed, but only on land and you must be 100' from the nearest body of water.

4> The season will be renamed Catch and Kill, since every fish that is released back into the bay dies anyway.

5> Posting reports about "catching" on any and all fishing boards is prohibited with the exception of TidalFish during the period 3:15 to 3:16 AM and CB Angler the rest of the day...When posting reports about catching exact GPS coordinates will be required or your user id will be suspended along with any fishing and/or boating licenses you may have.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 PM

How about; if using hooks, they must be grinded down as to be too dull to go through your finger or knuckle. Greg (bfaithful) will go for that one.

Greg, post a picture of your "accident" last spring.

5th (Marty)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Common sense thing would be to move the size up to 34 inches.
Perhaps require a trophy tag so an accurate count of fish killed could be had.

Hopefully - if YOY is low , ASMFC will move quickly and place a one fish limit per angler for the coastal fishery in winter.
Other thing that would help - enforce the 3 mile EEZ.

Reality - same old / same old - take them until few are left.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Common sense thing would be to move the size up to 34 inches.
Perhaps require a trophy tag so an accurate count of fish killed could be had....
Skip - the only problem is that all those who said they wanted to protect the fish have now argued, and convinced the DNR, that releasing any trolled caught fish will kill it, or at the very least there is a good chance it will die - charters will argue that raising the limit will result in too many undersized, released fish that die, and an overall increase in mortality as they "search" for the larger fish to keep. It's sad - but I'm betting that is what will be argued and the minimum size will not be increased. I think moving the season back may be considered.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM

a trophy tag is a great idea.

How about 1 charter trip per day instead of 2

rather than just concentrating on trophy season, there are other things that can be done. Like worrying about the people that go out and kill 2 fish per person 5 days a week all summer and C&R (cull) until and after they get their limit when they know the mortality rate is astoundingly high?
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
Skip - the only problem is that all those who said they wanted to protect the fish have now argued, and convinced the DNR, that releasing any trolled caught fish will kill it, or at the very least there is a good chance it will die - charters will argue that raising the limit will result in too many undersized, released fish that die, and an overall increase in mortality as they "search" for the larger fish to keep. It's sad - but I'm betting that is what will be argued and the minimum size will not be increased. I think moving the season back may be considered.
I too believe the MCBA has painted themselves in a corner on this one. Brian Keen? is on record as saying that "every one of those slot fish we threw back died". We were not allowed to challenge him when he made this statement; we had to wait until the "public comment" portion of the meeting was open at the end of the meeting. Evidently, DNR swallowed his comment "hook, line and sinker".
So if the slot fish die (or are stressed, or educated, or spill their eggs); as the MCBA contends, then some other kind of restriction is necessary. Many rec's suggested to leave C/R as it was and move the season just one weekend (open on Monday instead of the Fri. before) and you could save more fish then during all of C/R. Other rec's suggested moving the season to May 1st in order to allow more breeders to spawn.
Let's see if rec's take the largest hit this year. MCBA should share in the hit this time.
5th (Marty)