Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Default Fishing - 10-17-2011 Mid Bay

Snuck out yesterday around 4pm for a few hours.

The air temp was pleaseant in the upper 60;s andthe water was about 65. We fished a few hundred yards off shore in 3' to 8' of water.

before we left the marina I cast in front of the boat a few times and caught huge White Perch on 4/7 casts. I thought it was going to be on fire last night!

Got out in the bay at dead low tide; the lowest I've seen in a long time. The wind was pretty nasty up to about 10 or 12 mph constantly and the waves we whitecapping pretty fair.

We caught a few small White Perch, and 4 Rockfish with the biggest being 21 inches. The other "keeper" sized fish was 19" and the other two were undersized.

We saw about 5 other boats working the same area but didn't see them catch anything except for one undersized Rock.

Let's hope the fish getter bigger real quick!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM

There's been quite a few jumbo white perch in the mid bay this season. What direction was the wind coming out of? If I had to say, I would guess out of the north, which could have pushes extra water down the bay. WE had the opposite thing happen last Thursday, abnormally high tides, and winds out of the south.

Anyway, congratulations on finding a few, and thanks for posting.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM

We'll at least your getting out and putting a couple of keepers in the boat. I hope to get back out this Saturday and find the same fish we did 2 weeks ago. Hope you can get back out there this week and give us another report, thanks Scott.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat09 View Post
There's been quite a few jumbo white perch in the mid bay this season. What direction was the wind coming out of? If I had to say, I would guess out of the north, which could have pushes extra water down the bay. WE had the opposite thing happen last Thursday, abnormally high tides, and winds out of the south.

Anyway, congratulations on finding a few, and thanks for posting.
Actually the wind was coming out of the south/southwest.

I'm loving the big perch. I've been throwing a 1/4 ounce Beetlespin on an ultralight rod with 6lb mono on it....feels like I'm shark fishing.

Sometimes I replace the beetle with a tiny "Bass Assasin" (these are actually made by Zoom though) and that seems to stir up bigger fish with the increased action. Caught Blues, White Perch, Yellow Perch, Catfish and Stripers on it rigged like that this year. White seems to always be a good color regardless of time, weather or water color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
We'll at least your getting out and putting a couple of keepers in the boat. I hope to get back out this Saturday and find the same fish we did 2 weeks ago. Hope you can get back out there this week and give us another report, thanks Scott.
I LOVE being out there, especially this time of the year. The sunset was also fantastic last night.

I'll post everything I can, everytime I get out. That's what the forums are for; sharing info so that everyone can do a little better.