Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 AM

Default Please get involved

It is my belief that we are facing a major threat to our sport.

The following letter can be sent to your U.S. Senator, U.S. House Representative and to Nancy Sutley, Chair of the Council on Environmental Quality.

Here it is:

As one of 60 million anglers in the United States, I am writing to express my deep concerns regarding the National Ocean and Great Lakes Policy proposal recently released by the Ocean Policy Task Force. I am very disappointed that the task force failed to recognize the significant conservation, economic and social contributions of recreational fishing and include that as a key policy component. I am also very concerned about the abbreviated 90 day timeline which forced the Task Force to rush to issue this policy document. The implications of such a policy are vast and nationwide. Therefore, the review process should be very deliberate and with more than 30 days of public review and comment.

My fishing license fees go directly towards conserving and managing fisheries in my state. Additionally, every time I purchase fishing equipment, the federal excise tax on that purchase goes to state fish and wildlife agencies for fisheries conservation throughout this nation. It’s safe to say that recreational anglers have provided the lion’s share of funding for fisheries conservation and management in this county for well over 50 years. In fact, according to NOAA Fisheries, saltwater anglers contribute over $82 billion to the economy and support over half a million jobs.

How can our contributions be ignored?

I am a conservationist who loves the outdoors. I believe that recreational activities like responsibly-managed and regulated recreational fishing deserve full consideration and incorporation in the administration’s ocean and Great Lakes policy. Providing the angling public with access to public resources is no less important than conserving those resources. Therefore, I am urging you to include recreational fishing as a separate and distinct ocean and Great Lakes priority.

Thank you for your consideration.

1-888-810-7283

Follow us on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42003558593
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 AM

Keith, what proposal is on the table now?

I agree that recreational and sport fishing is under attack HUGELY in this country right now..