Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Interesting experience today

I had something happen today that has never happened to me before while fishing.
I was out with Captain John on his charter boat pulling his spreader bars and catching 16" blues two at a time
While off Tilghman Island, I was bringing in another double header. The blues were jumping, splashing, and trying their best to throw the hook. About 50-75 ft behind the boat, a sea creature () snatched one of the blues and took off for the bottom. The blues were "dancing" on top of the water when this happened.
Three of us on the back of the boat SAW this happen. When the reels drag started singing, I instinctively put my thumb on the spool to slow the decent. All this accomplished was to put put enough pressure on the fish to allow it to rip the blue off the hook (blues have a soft mouth).
We all looked at one another What the he11 just happened? We started to talk about what would be big enough to do this. A huge rockfish, a shark, or possibly a porpoise could be responsible. No one saw a fin of any kind. We did see a big animal with only about three or four inches of BODY exposed before taking the bluefish.
I almost wish it had been bitten in half. I could have looked at the bite mark!!

Anyway, it was an interesting experience.
5th