Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Default " Veteran's Day " off Beezy 5/16

After fishing on Friday the 13th and having some odd things happen - I was beginning to believe in superstitions.

Fellow TFer Mlag ( Mark ) was with me on Friday and he told me he had a trip planned on Monday with a wounded Army veteran named Glen. One thing lead to another and we decided to use my boat since Mark faced a long run from South River to the decent fishing.

On the ride down , Mark and I formed a game plan. We really only needed to get one nice fish for Glen - very least we could do for a brave soldier.

Monday morning found us at Breezy at 5:40 am. Mark's friend Brian helped us muscle the boat off the trailer due to the very high tide. Boat was launched as the guys from Walter Reed arrived. Glen had his friend drive him - Hun and Hun's son Brian. Everyone got on board and off we went. Bay was almost smooth - what a great sight to see. We hoped the predicted storms would hold off.

Running 30 knots ESE to #78A - the meter was lighting up nice fish in 45 feet.
We stopped short of intended area and got the boards over. Mark and his friend Brian set out starboard side as I set out port side lines. All were tandems - mostly 6/2 in various colors. I had #1 line out and allowed #2 to run out on the reel clicker. Mark and Brian had two set and Brian was feeding #3 out. My #2 clicker started to scream like the lead singer of " Arch Enemy " and it was FISH ON. We handed Glen the rod - no way believing our great luck. Been over two years since I've hooked up on a line going out. Glen had his hands full trying to control the spunky fish. Brian was letting out the #3 on starboard and his line got hit. Now , I'm not superstitious but this was some serious great luck . Brian handed off the rod to younger Brian and we did our best to control an unexcepted double header. Mark netted Glen's fish and soon got Brian's fish in as well.

Both fish hit 2 oz Spankin' Striper lures - one white , one chartruese.
While the guys were fighting the fish - we saw a few nice Rock roll across the surface chasing bait. We swung around and slowing but surely got all the rods out. Mark looked over at me and we both just shrugged our shoulders - still not believing what just happened. We re rigged some with smaller 6 inch Storm lures since now 18 inchers were legal to take. Trolled a big loop to #78 and got another hit. Older Brian got a nice fish - it hit the same 2 oz white Spankin' Striper parachute.

We saw a huge log in the channel and put warning out on the VHF. Current was out going and it carried us slowly south as we trolled east / west. Glen needed to stay off his wounded leg and sat on the bench seat next to me. Got to talk to him and what a heck of a nice guy. He explained some of the injuries - his armored vehicle got hit by enemy fire. The shell pierced the armor and really did a lot of damage. Glen lost a good buddy that day. We owe these guys a lot. Told you I'm not superstitious but as we talked - sun came out and we got another hit.

Hun was next up and reeled in a nice 26 incher that wolfed a 6 oz parachute.

So much for our idea putting out 6 inch lures for the under 28 inchers. Bay was almost smooth and young Brian was sound asleep. Mark kept a close eye on the rods and spotted the next hit. Fish slammed a white umbrella on the downrigger but missed getting hooked. We checked some lures but all were clean. Water was much better then Friday as far as clarity. Lots of bait flipping as we dodged some floats in 40 feet near #77A. It was about noon so Brian fixed all of us some killer deer bolonga sandwiches. Well , superstitious or not - lunch almost always brings a hit. Sure enough - planer board got hit and Glen was handed the rod. Fish fought well for only being around 30 inches. It hit yet another Spankin' Striper lure ( I'm starting to like these ) in John deere pattern.

With that one in the box - tough to know who was smiling more. We all felt great to get Glen some fish , he was feeling great being away from the hospital barracks for a day. We worked back up along the 60 foot west edge - hoping for another hit. Should have hoped for another hook up - we got a hit alright , a real crushing knock down. Reeled in the tandem to find a folded over the hook shad on a white 3 oz flashy lure. Damn , but no real complaints.

Mark and I were discussing lures and perplexed why the Storm umbrella rigs were not getting hit by smaller Rock we often saw on the meter. I commented about the new Spankin' Striper lures and that was just too much for my tried and trusted battered Aliens. One 2 oz chartruese with blue back / silver shad reached out and grabbed a passing Rock.

We let young Brian reel it in. We were losing the minor incoming current so called it a day about 3:30. Took some time to reel in but soon we were headed back to Breezy. I punched in the GPS to show the course and let Glen run the boat back. Never knew they teach Army guys to run a zig zag course to throw off submarines but soon the wake straighten up. Got back and Mark took the fish and cleaned them while Brian helped me load the boat.

We all shook hands and exchanged heart felt thank yous - on both sides.

Glen and other veterans , wounded or not - we all owe you one .
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Very nice report Skip. There's no way we can repay those guys, but this certainly helps. You and Mark both deserve our thanks.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Marty - Some things said on the boat stay there but Glen really opened up to me - guess talking helps some times.

How can any of us repay a man who saw his friends die - right in front of him and came close to dieing himself ?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM

We don't know how good we have it. All we have to bit*h about is dirty water and only catching one fish trolling all day. We owe these guys big time for the freedom we have. A big thanks to Glen for his service and thanks to Skip and Mark for taking a wounded warrior fishing..............Gary
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM

Thumbs up

Nice report! The world needs more stand up guys like yourself!

Last edited by dances_with_fish; 05-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Nice report Skip. I love those "Spankin' Stipers"!