Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Default what would you pay for these 3 penn reels

2 longbeach 68's
1 112h

I have pic's only, appear in used, but decent shape (I can post later). No reel clamps. I have not seem them in person yet. Reels to be used as board rods in my buddy's spread (extra rods) or eventually what I'll start with if the boat purchase materializes next year.

Dude wants $80 for all 3 ($25+$25+$30)

I'd like to offer $55 based on pic's only ($15+$15+$25)

I know they are really "worth" what I'm willing to pay / what he wants to make, but I'm wondering if I'm outta line trying to talk him down.

cheers,

bob
Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Depends on the condition. I certainly would pay more than $25 for the Senator if it still works.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 AM

I know they are worth a decent amount if in good shape, but still, on ebay they can be had for pretty cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Penn-Senator-112...4#ht_804wt_960
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Penn-3-0...0#ht_500wt_976

Really not sure about the 68's - bought a 66 at tri-state last year for $25, but it was in really good condition (missing a handle though, but I had one for it).
Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 PM

I bought two 112h's in good used condition for 50/each and thought I got a good deal. . .
Old 11-26-2009, 06:42 PM

wow, guess I'm doing ok with the 112h. Anyone have an opinion on the 68's?
Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Just to finish the story...met up with the guy. His story was that his Mom's neighbor in NJ had died and through a couple hand-offs he ended up with the reels (more than those 3). He was looking to turn a quick buck on the reels. Admitted that he didn't know how to assess their condition so he figured he'd have to take a shot in the dark on price as best he could from other online sources.

Anyway, after he drove 15 minutes from his house to cut my ride from 30min to 15 minutes, I decided to try and give him an honest price knowing that I knew more than him. On the phone I had offered $50 for all 3 if in decent shape...I figured there would be issues, thus the lower price - and to me, with the kid, they weren't worth more than that for me because I'm probably not gonna get to use them much right now - more of an investment in tackle if you know what I mean.

Anyway, they all need some rebuilding - 3/0 had a rough spot while reeling and the clicker button has some play in it, one 68 probably just needed some grease, the other 68 had a rough spot wile reeling too. All need drag washers and a good cleaning. Given the cost of a rebuild - I was a little reluctant to stick with the $50, but that ave's out to about $17 a reel so I think even given the uknown about the gears needing replacing, it turned out like a good deal.

As a note, he has a bunch of old penn reels in various condition and a nice, newish 310gti. I have his email and he'll ship from PA. Here is the list of what is left:

Penn Delmar No. 285
Penn Longbeach 60
Penn 180 Fishing Reel
Penn jigmaster 500 S
Pflueger Oceanic 2178
Penn 310 Gti Graphic
Penn 200 Fishing Reel
Penn No. 155
Daiwa B-400 Hi-Speed
Thunderbird 50