Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Reallocation for Conservation

I havent seen it posted here so I thought I would share what the MSSA is doing in the name of conservation. To me it is a big deal and an approach that could prove to be very successful. As a member of the MSSA, I am very excited about the iniative of "reallocation for conservation" that the organization is taking to preserve the fishery for the future. I certainly hope and believe this cause will be fully supported by all fishermen. Here is a copy of the MSSA letter sent to DNR.

Quote:

November 11, 2010

Dear Governor O’Malley, Secretary Griffin, and Director O’Connell

On behalf of the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association (MSSA) and recreational anglers in the state of Maryland, I am asking for Reallocation for Conservation of the striped bass harvest from the commercial fishery to the recreational fishery. I am making this request in order to protect Maryland residents' best opportunity to enjoy fishing the bay, the positive economic and social impacts of sportfishing in our state, and as a necessary conservation measure.

In recent times there is growing concern for the status of the health of the striped bass population as well as the Chesapeake Bay. This trepidation is not only being expressed by our membership, who regularly fish the Chesapeake Bay for this species, but is evident through some scientific indices and concerns being noted within the ASMFC and our own biologists within the DNR. Concern is also plainly evident in the recent feedback given at public meetings regarding the potential increase in coastal quota for striped bass. Because Maryland is recognized as the primary nursery and spawning grounds to these highly sought after fish, it is our responsibility to act accordingly and make adjustments to our fisheries when necessary.

The Chesapeake Bay is recognized as one of our country's National Treasures and is truly our state's greatest natural resource. Having public access and opportunity to fish this resource is nearly exclusively dependent upon the striped bass fishery and the health of the stock. Striped bass is the most sought after fish by anglers in our bay waters and not only draws hundreds of thousands of anglers from within our state to enjoy our resource but many anglers from outside our area as well. The social and economic impacts of recreational fishing on our state are irrefutable. Recreational fishing not only has over a $1 billion economic impact and directly provides over ten thousand jobs to our state; it enables families to spend time together and gives our citizens direct interaction with our environment, making for a healthier society. It is because of the need for this fish both economically and socially as it pertains to a gamefish that Maryland must protect the access and opportunity afforded to its citizens to fish for this species.

The commercial harvest of striped bass in Maryland is immensely large and vastly disproportionate to the recreational fishery as opposed to other states along the migratory run. In recent years the commercial striped bass harvest in Maryland makes up nearly one-third of the entire commercial take in pounds from all coastal states and has averaged over2.3 million pounds for the last few years. Noting that Maryland watermen tend to take a fish of lesser weight when compared to regions that allow for the harvest of fish over 36", the actual number of fish being harvested comparably is significantly inflated. The harvest is more than 35% higher than Virginia, who has the second largest commercial harvest, and more than doubles the commercial harvest of Massachusetts, who has the third largest harvest behind MD and VA. While Maryland has by far the largest commercial harvest in pounds on striped bass, our recreational harvest ranks 4th among all states. Yet, no other area like the Chesapeake Bay is so dependent upon this one species for its primary recreational fishery.

The value for the fish on the commercial market has been stagnant at best. The 2010 gillnet season was even temporarily closed for striped bass in order to prevent watermen from reaching their quota early and in an attempt to hold the value of the fish, as it was said to have been "depressed" according to DNR (January 11, 2010 public notice). A reduction in allocation may only stand to benefit commercial watermen through holding the value of the fish up and allowing a waterman to earn a similar wage with less harvest while being exposed to less risks of being on the water. It may also lend itself to less user conflict on the water as well.

Anglers have also specifically expressed concerns over the winter gillnet season and the YOY indices. With the possibility of global warming and the potential for an earlier spawn, some anglers are troubled that the setting of long gillnets may have an ill-effect on fish migrating into the bay to spawn. It is because of this concern that I suggest that the greatest commercial allocation reduction come from this fishery in particular.

Because of these concerns over the health of the striped bass stock and in an effort to conserve and protect the benefits of recreational fishing, I request that this reallocation to the recreational side not go towards expanding the Chesapeake Bay recreational regulations. Instead, I ask that this reallocation be held and provide security for the recreational seasons that are already in place when target goals are exceeded, such as the 2009 trophy season. This will provide greater security to the access and opportunity that recreational anglers have learned to enjoy while acting as a measure that stands to benefit the overall health of the stock.

On behalf of our members, our state's thousands of recreational anglers, our industry business owners, I appreciate your time on this very important matter. The health of the striped bass population is vital to recreational fishing and recreational fishing is vital to the economies and social fabric of our state. Your consideration and action on this matter is imperative in maintaining the access and opportunity, the health of the striped bass stock, and the future of recreational fishing that so many anglers have come to know and enjoy. Please feel free to advise how the Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association can assist in accomplishing this reallocation. I look forward to an open dialog on this and other issues concerning our fishery.

Sincerely,

Dave Smith

Executive Director,

Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 AM

One of the many reasons I joined MSSA. Someone there is using their brain.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Ho....hum.

Let's see if I read this right.

We (read rec angler) catch 57.5 percent of the Stripped Bass caught in the bay. We don't want the amount we catch reduced, but, you can take the quota from the commercial user group and hold that in reserve in case one year we catch over what we are supposed too, and use that quota to appease the ASMFC.

A major problem will arise.

ASMFC will take Maryland's commercial quota and redistribute it to the states that have commercial fishing. To do other wise major federal law would have to be changed. Maryland doesn't have that much clout in Congress.

And I'm wondering if the majority of members of the MSSA who agree with the letter, think it will mean more allocation for rec anglers.

Last edited by reds; 11-17-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Reds, our commercial harvest is out of line with other states in the ASMFC. Yet, our recreational seasons continue to come underfire. This reallocation may even stand to benefit some watermen through enabling them to make more per fish harvested as currently the gold resource is being sold a copper prices.

Given how this reallocation is intended to be used and stated as protection in case of a larger take under current regulations, I doubt the ASMFC will redistribute to other areas along the coast. Hopefully, given the concerns over some stock indicies starting to arise at the ASMFC, I doubt such a move would be done anytime soon and could be used to push back at other states for other conservation moves to take place. Should stock numbers look good in a few years and Maryland remains at or below its target on the recreational side, then DNR may need to look at seasons and regulations for both commercial and recreational.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM

I wish I had a "chrystal ball" that would explain what happened to the rockfish population. Either the stock is in good condition, and they aren't here; or the stock is in serious trouble.
Last Spring, all I heard was that the spawn was going to be late because of all the cold and snow. Then when the spawn didn't show up during the regular time (mid March-May); the theory was that they came in EARLY and spawned. The yoy index doesn't seem to support this.
Now, for the fall run; the theory is that the water temps are not cold enough to have driven the stock down the coast and into the bay. They say the majority of the fish are still off the coast and headed this way.
Even last winter, the stock didn't act normally. Reports I heard were that the stock remained out past the 3 mile limit and many boats had to resort to illegally chashing them offshore.
I really don't know what has happened. Is the stock sound and they have changed their pattern? Or, is the stock in serious trouble, as the yoy might indicate?

Does someone know how the fishing was all along the coast this year? Are the northern states having a banner year, or are their numbers depressed like ours?

Dumbfounded, 5th (Marty)
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Marty - From what I have read, the fall fishing up off of Long Island was awesome; best in years. They were surprised how long the bait had stayed in the area, which held the fish there. I am afraid by the time the fish are ready to migrate up into our bay, it will be too cold and most of them will just continue down the coast to be slaughtered again this winter off Va. Just my .02....Don
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Reds, our commercial harvest is out of line with other states in the ASMFC. Yet, our recreational seasons continue to come underfire. This reallocation may even stand to benefit some watermen through enabling them to make more per fish harvested as currently the gold resource is being sold a copper prices.

Given how this reallocation is intended to be used and stated as protection in case of a larger take under current regulations, I doubt the ASMFC will redistribute to other areas along the coast. Hopefully, given the concerns over some stock indicies starting to arise at the ASMFC, I doubt such a move would be done anytime soon and could be used to push back at other states for other conservation moves to take place. Should stock numbers look good in a few years and Maryland remains at or below its target on the recreational side, then DNR may need to look at seasons and regulations for both commercial and recreational.
Maryland's Commercial harvest is out of whose line?

It's the same as it's been since the moratorium. The allocation is written in stone in Maryland's law at 42.5 percent of Maryland's quota.

Don't doubt what ASMFC will do.
One only has to look up the coast to New Jersey and see what they had to do with the commercial quota in order to keep from losing it. (New Jersey wanted to give it to the rec anglers)

For those that don't know New Jersey has a commercial quota that is counted in the total commercial catch. BUT it's caught by recreational anglers. They had to make use of smoke and mirrors to keep from losing the commercial allocation.

One last thing. Do your home work on Striped Bass prices. Maryland enjoys good off the boat prices until the other states flood the market with their catch.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 AM

It's as simple as this, conservation is needed on all fronts. A little here and a little there will provide a sustainable resource for everyone.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM

Marylands commercial harvest is out of line in the sense that it makes up nearly 1/3 of the entire commercial take in lbs. That doesnt include the potomac river numbers either!

Even good "off the boat prices" are still selling our gold resource at copper prices. A reduction in commercial allocation may even benefit some watermen through increasing the prices for their harvest.

I am aware of what NJ did. They gave striped bass gamefish status and their recreational fishermen the commercial allocation through trophy tags to keep from losing it. I believe the MSSA is asking for commercial allocation to be given to rec side to cover seasons like 2009. I dont believe unused allocation would be redistributed to other states given the recent exceeding of the rec targets here in MD. Should the fish population look great in a few years and Maryland is hitting the targets, then Maryland may need to look at where unused allocation can be used to expand our fisheries as to not lose fish to redistribution. Until then, this reallocation is necessary to protect our recreational fishing and act as conservation initiative given the growing concerns at the ASMFC and within our own DNR.

It certainly be interesting to see how DNR responds to this paragraph of the letter given their concerns over preseason C&R (not to confuse the subjects):
Quote:
Anglers have also specifically expressed concerns over the winter gillnet season and the YOY indices. With the possibility of global warming and the potential for an earlier spawn, some anglers are troubled that the setting of long gillnets may have an ill-effect on fish migrating into the bay to spawn. It is because of this concern that I suggest that the greatest commercial allocation reduction come from this fishery in particular.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 11-17-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Marylands commercial harvest is out of line in the sense that it makes up nearly 1/3 of the entire commercial take in lbs. That doesnt include the potomac river numbers either!

Even good "off the boat prices" are still selling our gold resource at copper prices. A reduction in commercial allocation may even benefit some watermen through increasing the prices for their harvest.

I am aware of what NJ did. They gave striped bass gamefish status and their recreational fishermen the commercial allocation through trophy tags to keep from losing it. I believe the MSSA is asking for commercial allocation to be given to rec side to cover seasons like 2009. I dont believe unused allocation would be redistributed to other states given the recent exceeding of the rec targets here in MD. Should the fish population look great in a few years and Maryland is hitting the targets, then Maryland may need to look at where unused allocation can be used to expand our fisheries as to not lose fish to redistribution. Until then, this reallocation is necessary to protect our recreational fishing and act as conservation initiative given the growing concerns at the ASMFC and within our own DNR.

It certainly be interesting to see how DNR responds to this paragraph of the letter given their concerns over preseason C&R (not to confuse the subjects):
The last time MSSA got greedy with the Striped Bass and tried to cut the throat of the commercial user group , it created a rift within MSSA. I don't expect anything different this time.

Don't expect the DNR to take MSSA's side on this matter, they still have people working for them, who remember the last time.