Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Why was today the last day of the rockfish season?

This is not meant to be a smartass question. I really am trying to put all the pieces together and come up with an accurate answer. I'm not posting this on TF because it would cause 15 pages of turmoil. I'm optimistic that on CBA we can get a couple varying opinions and perhaps figure out what DNR and the Atlantic Fisheries Commision are thinking.

This is based TOTALLY on my perspective. I realize that it is biased, which is why I need other opinions.

First, lets start with pre season. DNR adopted restrictions which was suposed to reduce the stress and mortality on breeding cows. I believe the "effort" was dramaticly reduced because of the restrictions. I didn't see nearly the number of boats fishing that I have in other years. Additionally, the rockfish never showed up in large numbers during the "normal" fishing period. Some say the fish arrived early, and we just missed them.

Second, when DNR released the findings of the YOY, we were told that it was once again below average; but not to worry because the stock was healthy. In fact, it was so healthy that Md. had to spend a considerable amount of time contemplating on whether to vote IN FAVOR of increasing the coastal netting quota.

Lastly, I would say the late fall run never really materialized. In years past, I could count on six, seven, or eight rockfish on an average late fall trip. This year, I (and my friends) had a much more difficult time catching two or three large fish per trip. I believe the "take" was dramaticly reduced this fall.

So let's summerize, Less fish were caught in the spring season than in previous years. The stock is in a healthy shape. Less fish were caught in the late fall run.

So why wasn't the season extended for an additional two weeks? Is DNR telling us something by NOT extending the season? Are they saying that the stock IS in trouble?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the season wasn't extended. I think there is a problem with the stock. But why would DNR tell us one thing and act in an opposite way? I think the rockfish take by recreational anglers was down this year. This may be due to both restrictions and nature. But if the take was down and the stock is fine, why not extend the season?

How am I looking at this wrong? If we have another banner year like we had two years ago (and DNR extended the season), will DNR again keep the season open so we can continue to "harvest" more large cows?

What's your opinion; be respectfull.
5th (Marty)

p.s. I didn't include the comm. harvest because I don't know enough about it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
This is not meant to be a smartass question. I really am trying to put all the pieces together and come up with an accurate answer. I'm not posting this on TF because it would cause 15 pages of turmoil. I'm optimistic that on CBA we can get a couple varying opinions and perhaps figure out what DNR and the Atlantic Fisheries Commision are thinking.

This is based TOTALLY on my perspective. I realize that it is biased, which is why I need other opinions.

First, lets start with pre season. DNR adopted restrictions which was suposed to reduce the stress and mortality on breeding cows. I believe the "effort" was dramaticly reduced because of the restrictions. I didn't see nearly the number of boats fishing that I have in other years. Additionally, the rockfish never showed up in large numbers during the "normal" fishing period. Some say the fish arrived early, and we just missed them.

Second, when DNR released the findings of the YOY, we were told that it was once again below average; but not to worry because the stock was healthy. In fact, it was so healthy that Md. had to spend a considerable amount of time contemplating on whether to vote IN FAVOR of increasing the coastal netting quota.

Lastly, I would say the late fall run never really materialized. In years past, I could count on six, seven, or eight rockfish on an average late fall trip. This year, I (and my friends) had a much more difficult time catching two or three large fish per trip. I believe the "take" was dramaticly reduced this fall.

So let's summerize, Less fish were caught in the spring season than in previous years. The stock is in a healthy shape. Less fish were caught in the late fall run.

So why wasn't the season extended for an additional two weeks? Is DNR telling us something by NOT extending the season? Are they saying that the stock IS in trouble?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the season wasn't extended. I think there is a problem with the stock. But why would DNR tell us one thing and act in an opposite way? I think the rockfish take by recreational anglers was down this year. This may be due to both restrictions and nature. But if the take was down and the stock is fine, why not extend the season?

How am I looking at this wrong? If we have another banner year like we had two years ago (and DNR extended the season), will DNR again keep the season open so we can continue to "harvest" more large cows?

What's your opinion; be respectfull.
5th (Marty)

p.s. I didn't include the comm. harvest because I don't know enough about it.
I believe the season was extended 2 years ago because the rec quota was not even close to being caught. Why? One reason was thought to be the down economy and high fuel prices kept rec fishermen from fishing.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:09 AM

It is based on targets for the recreational harvest.. based on our season length, creel, and size limits we should be about the target harvest in lbs under the ASMFC based on previous years and the levels of effort and participation.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 12-16-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
I believe the season was extended 2 years ago because the rec quota was not even close to being caught. Why? One reason was thought to be the down economy and high fuel prices kept rec fishermen from fishing.
Also "fishable" days weather-wise limited many weekend days.

I believe DNR is reluctant to extend the season given the low juvenile numbers recorded in recent years and the projected decline of the adult spawning biomass over the next few years. Add the stink over preseason C&R, the massive illegal commercial poaching busts, and some feedback dnr has been getting from anglers, I doubt they would even consider it.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Not sure why the season ends in December. I would love to see it remain open until March 1st. There is limited chances to fish in winter but often a few nice dinner size Rock can be caught. Would love to keep just one.

The gill netters are out there and catch many fish. I did hear the rec. season ends to avoid comm / rec trouble. Only snag there - recs. can still go out and C/R.

You think about it - very few anglers would be out and some years the ramps ice in. The take would be minor. 95% of recs. put their boats away.

Years ago - we could keep them in winter. Not sure how / why the December closure came about.

A lot of the DNR rules seem odd.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

The gill netters are out there and catch many fish. I did hear the rec. season ends to avoid comm / rec trouble. Only snag there - recs. can still go out and C/R.
The 2010 Commercial Gill net season actually CLOSED 3 days ago. (12/13/10)
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
It is based on targets for the recreational harvest.. based on our season length, creel, and size limits we should be about the target harvest in lbs under the ASMFC based on previous years and the levels of effort and participation.
Greg; I'm a bit confused. The past year is what we should expect to catch in a NORMAL year? We (rec.'s) hit our target number of fish this year?

This is the worst year I can remember for not only myself, but for most of the guys I fish with.

Based on the "cost" it took to try to put a limit on the boat, I wouldn't think about buying a new boat. I won't be buying much additional tackle over the winter (I"ll make do with what I have), and if gas prices either continue to rise, or remain at $3/gallon, the number of trips will be decreasing.

If this year is the new "normal", you will find many anglers who feel the cost/return factor is not enough to stay in the game.

To be perfectly honest, I could care less about eating/harvesting them. I enjoy catching them. Catching was slow this year (on our boats). If the population doesn't rebound soon, less and less rec. fishermen will be on the water. This doesn't bode well for tackle shops or boat builders.

If my livelyhood was based on fishing/boating, I would be screaming for something to be done to improve the stock.

I was looking for validation that "this is the new normal". That's sad.

5th (Marty)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 PM

Marty - it's sad but more and more - people are just not going outside.
Kids come home from school and play video games rather then enjoy the outdoors. Parents get home after 8 hours of work and hour each way commute - they plop down on the couch. Some of it is lack of access but most times there is a creek or pond nearby. I can remember riding a bike four miles to get to the upper Severn River - as did most of the kids in my neighborhood.

Guess we are both showing our age. Let's hope 2011 season is better.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 PM

With the MSSA proposal on the table and being seriously considered, I don't think DNR was willing to extend the rec C&K season this year.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Marty, this is not targeted at you, more for people like, well Skip and his lemmings.

I love you guys that preach conservation while practicing kill all you can within your limit, and then ponder why noone takes you seriously. You hope and wish for a longer season to kill Rockfish, but throw out "put back all fish over 40". Conservation when it's convienient to you, like when they limit Catch and Release. You stand there at meetings and defend actions like trolling through a gannet storm, state that you are for saving the future of the rockfish population, and then in the same breath post on a public message board that you wish you could catch and kill later into the year. If you truly just love fishing, go catch and release and stop hoping for a longer kill season. You want to eat it, go buy it or eat one of the hundreds of fish you kill all year long that have to be overflowing your freezer.