Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 AM

Wink

So many complainers. Here are the answers.

Everyone stop harvesting.

Catch and release everything.

Only throw sick or injured fish in the cooler.

Eat more bluefish.

Extend spring season catch and release to May 16th.

Problems solved.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
See if you can follow me on this. I enjoy fishing/catching rockfish. I like being on the water, the sun rising, the birds diving, setting lines, and reeling in fish. I would like to repeat the seasons of the past where I could go out and be relatively sure we would put 8 to 10 fish in the boat. I run a 22 ft boat and usually fish three people. This lets my guests reel in three fish each and I may get two. For me, this is a good day. It's worth the time and effort (and cost) associated with running the boat. OFTEN, we will only bring home only one fish for my two guests. Who needs more meat than a 39 inch rock can provide? Beside, I would rather eat a 28 inch fish.
I enjoy taking many of my friends (who are rookies) fishing. If they can catch a couple fish each, they are excited. Many have never caught a fish that big. But this year was different (at least for me). I mostly fished with fellow anglers who realized this was a down year. If we rode around all day and got skunked, they understood. The rookies would ***** and complain about the cold or inactivity.
You are right, no one is stopping me from fishing. But who (or what) is keeping me from catching. This is partially what this thread is about. Is DNR managing the stock efficiently? Is the EPA doing enough to help clean up the bay? Is Omega Protien consuming too much of the forage fish? Are poachers (both rec and comm) doing too much damage? Is the MSSA proposal to reduce the quota from gillnetting a good start? I just received an email from the CCA stating they just met with the Governor, yet they didn't tell me what came out of the meeting (why not). Are the organizations that are supposed to be representing the rec. angler doing a good job? If DNR really believes the stock is in trouble (just the opposite of what they say in print), what might be the new restrictions to be imposed - planer board line length, slot limits, starting the season later to allow more spawning, any other ideas.
This is why the thread was started. I wanted to know what's the current thinking inside the DNR? If they aren't going to extend the season when less fish are caught, then when are they ever going to extend the season? If less fish were caught this year, why is that. Is it just because the guys I fish with are crappy fishermen, and we can only catch fish when there are enormous numbers of fish in the bay, or is something else going on?
Sorry to spoonfeed all these topics to the group; but Breakaway was having trouble understanding why the thread was posted and in which direction I had hoped it would travel.
I'm concerned about the stock, I was trying to get a feel of how others felt and what could be done to help increase it. Some feel the stock is in good shape and nothing needs to be done. That's ok too. It's an opinion I can respect, but I need to find out why you feel it is good shape.
I suspect that Red's is a comercial fisherman and I get a different perspective
each time he posts. Did he and other comm's have a banner year? I know the gillnet season was cut short by a couple days, how come?
Were the fish in the bay at the same numbers as last year, but they were CONCENTRATED to certain area's where the knowledge of their whereabouts lead to great fishing, and the rest of us just ran around in circles dragging baits.
Breakaway; if you want to contribute to the discussion, pick one of the above topics. Love your Judge, they are sweet rides.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
5th (Marty)

p.s. I'll gladly sit on the sidelines and not post such topics in the future. I just get frustrated when I log on and find nothing new to read either website. Someone else can take the lead. It's a long winter ahead. Go for it!
No. I didn't have a banner year, but I didn't have a bad year either. of course I didn't start fishing yesterday, either.

Maybe the CCA met with the Governor to propose that rec fishing be reserved for an elite few. Are they still advocating that?
I wouldn't think their greed would show again and be asking to cut out a user group.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM

That's why it's called "FISHING" and not "CATCHING". You pays yo' money and takes yo' chances!
The facts are; fishing is cyclical, we have just gone through several of the best years of fishing in the mid bay area that I've ever seen (I've been fishing on the bay since the early 60's, BEFORE fish finders, side scan and the internet). I remember catching fish, bottom bouncing, on Dolly's Lump before it was marked, lining up pilings on the bridge and shore for references (oh, that was the OLD bridge, the new one wasn't there yet).I remember when catching a trophy (over 36") was a big deal and maybe 50 or so total, would be caught in the spring season (there wasn't any fall season). Immediately prior to the moratorium the limit was 5 - 15" fish/person. You had to be VERY good to catch any, let alone 5. Remember the first years after the moratorium? All of the mid 20" to low 30" fish you could catch, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. Then we had several unbelievable years of fishing where chumming was the "in" thing - The Hill looked like a boat parking lot, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The last few years the larger fish were here in huge numbers in the Spring, countless new people got into the fishery spurred by the adundance of big fish and internet reports, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The big fish started making brief runs into the bay in the Fall, guess what, it was posted and EVERYBODY loaded their boats.
We could be entering into a "dip" in the cycle, it certainly happens based on adundant year classes and fishing pressure.
To answer one of your points - yes, there are a lot of crappy fishermen who have been catching because of the huge numbers of fish. When things get a little tougher those people won't be catching as many, or possibly any. A lot of them will complain and drop out of the fishery, some will try to increase their learning curve and become good fishermen. Some will realize when they're in the middle of the "good times" and be thankful they were there.
Another of your points - the commercial gill net season was closed for the rest of the year (on 12/9 I believe). It was closed because the remaining quota had been caught. Evidently there is a healthy population of fish available, or the quota wouldn't have been reached. The gill net season is Jan, Feb and Dec of the calendar year. If the quota is caught at any time - the season is over for the year. The other commercial gear types operate under the same rules and each have a separate quota. If the quota is reached early, the season is shut down.
It would be in the best interests of everyone involved if there was a valid system in place to keep track of the total recreational catch. Then, if their "target" wasn't reached there may be a justifiable reason to extend the season.

Last edited by Mikie; 12-18-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Reds and Mikie; thanks for your perspective. I'm one of the guys that came into the fishery when times were good. Bought a new boat in 2001 and have been on a learning curve ever since. Like most newcomers, every year was built on the season before. I started with maybe 4 trolling rods. Because fishing was so good, I kept buying more rods and tackle. Soon I was running planer boards and 15 rods. A great day for us was 12-15 fish (mostly C/R). An average day would be 8-10.
My tackle, my technique, and my electronics have been upgraded over the years to the point that they are way more than adequate.
Last fall, we were catching plenty of large fish right out of Sandy Point. After Dec. 1st, we had to move south to Chesapeake Beach; not to catch fish, but to avoid the gill nets strung across the bay near Thomas Point.
Over the winter, the new PSCR restrictions were put in place; and fishing stunk. The spring C/K season was no better. Everyone couldn't wait for the return of the big fish this fall. What happend to them?
It's puzzleing how in just a couple months (from Dec. 2009 to April 2010) the bottom could have dropped out.
I hope it is due to a fish cycle. I hope enough escape the Vir. Beach winter season to give us a good Spring in 2011.
5th (Marty)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
It would be in the best interests of everyone involved if there was a valid system in place to keep track of the total recreational catch. Then, if their "target" wasn't reached there may be a justifiable reason to extend the season.
Mikie

It must not be in the best interest of the rec fishing clubs to want a precise number to their catch of Striped Bass.

If a precise number was in their best interest, they would have been screaming for an accounting years ago.

It makes better sense to refute ASMFC numbers as being to high and then, behind the scenes, try to softly stick the knife in to other user groups and attempt to take their quotas.

Maryland fishing clubs are attempting to try and take away mine, as well as others living with their back door maneuvers. I hope they are not too surprised when a few things come back to bit them in the a$$.

Last edited by reds; 12-17-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:09 PM

nevermind.....

Last edited by B-Faithful; 12-17-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post

p.s. I'll gladly sit on the sidelines and not post such topics in the future. I just get frustrated when I log on and find nothing new to read on the website. Someone else can take the lead. It's a long winter ahead. Go for it!
Marty, definitely don't stop posting. I enjoy reading your topics. I 'll try to get more involved if I feel I have anything worthwhile to add.

I'm OK with DNR not extending the season, I think they screwed up 2 years ago when they did extend it. Set the season and leave it alone. Hell as far as I'm concerned they could shorten it. I'd fish the same amount whether it's C&K or C&R. Before I started fishing the bay I fished the upper Potomac and the Susquehanna for smallmouth bass for years and NEVER kept a fish (does anyone even eat smallmouth?). I do enjoy eating rockfish and keep a fair share of the fish I catch, but you know as well as I that's not the reason we fish.

I'll agree with Reds that this wasn't a banner year, but I sure won't say it was a bad year either. Sometimes I stayed on the water a little longer to catch fish, but is that really a problem? Well to my wife it was!

I can deal with the restrictions they put on the PSCR (6 rods,barbless hooks,blah,blah,blah). Kind of brings back memories of when I first started fishing the bay with 6 rods. Still caught fish this spring and didn't have to deal with all the boat traffic.

Now if there's talk about taking away C&R......let me know, I'll round up as many as I can to help fight.

Good luck in 2011
Jeff
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks Jeff.

5th (Marty)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
That's why it's called "FISHING" and not "CATCHING". You pays yo' money and takes yo' chances!
The facts are; fishing is cyclical, we have just gone through several of the best years of fishing in the mid bay area that I've ever seen (I've been fishing on the bay since the early 60's, BEFORE fish finders, side scan and the internet). I remember catching fish, bottom bouncing, on Dolly's Lump before it was marked, lining up pilings on the bridge and shore for references (oh, that was the OLD bridge, the new one wasn't there yet).I remember when catching a trophy (over 36") was a big deal and maybe 50 or so total, would be caught in the spring season (there wasn't any fall season). Immediately prior to the moratorium the limit was 5 - 15" fish/person. You had to be VERY good to catch any, let alone 5. Remember the first years after the moratorium? All of the mid 20" to low 30" fish you could catch, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. Then we had several unbelievable years of fishing where chumming was the "in" thing - The Hill looked like a boat parking lot, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The last few years the larger fish were here in huge numbers in the Spring, countless new people got into the fishery spurred by the adundance of big fish and internet reports, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The big fish started making brief runs into the bay in the Fall, guess what, it was posted and EVERYBODY loaded their boats.
We could be entering into a "dip" in the cycle, it certainly happens based on adundant year classes and fishing pressure.
To answer one of your points - yes, there are a lot of crappy fishermen who have been catching because of the huge numbers of fish. When things get a little tougher those people won't be catching as many, or possibly any. A lot of them will complain and drop out of the fishery, some will try to increase there learning curve and become good fishermen. Some will realize when they're in the middle of the "good times" and be thankful they were there.
Another of your points - the commercial gill net season was closed for the rest of the year (on 12/9 I believe). It was closed because the remaining quota had been caught. Evidently there is a healthy population of fish available, or the quota wouldn't have been reached. The gill net season is Jan, Feb and Dec of the calendar year. If the quota is caught at any time - the season is over for the year. The other commercial gear types operate under the same rules and each have a separate quota. If the quota is reached early, the season is shut down.
I agree with most of what you wrote. its refreshing to read a post from someone that knows what they are talking about.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Chesapeake Rock; 1st post?? Welcome to the board
5th (Marty)