Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Default Next Few Days

Hopefully today starts off a good string of fishing for me...

Going to search above the bridge for breakers again this evening, last time out I came across a really nice school of 22 to 28 inchers breaking in Belvedere....

Friday I head to Chincoteague for a day of shark fishing with my oldest son and some other friends...

Then I head out to Hatteras and a week of fishing on the sound...Hoping to fish the Bonner Bridge and Hatteras Inlet....If anyone has any suggestions on good places and or techniques, I am all ears...My experience on the sound has been about 10 to 14 days total lifetime...

Will report in as soon as I have some news...(hopefully good news)

Old 07-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Have fun Mike! Are you taking a boat or looking to charter? Have a good friend that runs charters out of Hatteras inlet (offshore) and also have another friend that runs charters out of Oregon inlet, offshore as well and you have seen him on wicked tuna. If your taking a boat, Spanish maks at Oregon and Hatteras inlets or cruise just outside the breakers for cobias cruising down the current and cast live bait, eels, small blue crab, mullet at them or you can use bucktails. Another fun thing to do down there is walk the shallows at nite with a good spot lite and gig for flounder, most of the biggens are taken that way. Whatever your plans you are in a Fishermans paradise, next to the keys of course! Good luck and have fun with the family. If you need any contacts give me a shout and I'll set you up!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:38 AM

Mako Mike- who are your contacts for offshore charters in OBX. I'm looking to book a boat the last week in September.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:19 PM

Rudden,
Man you couldn't pick a better week to be in OBX as far as offshore fishing goes. That time of year is great for blue and white Marlin, wahoo and of course the tunas. Only setback could be weather, late September is prime time for hurricanes and tropical storms otherwise fishing usually is off the hook!
As far as contacts here they are:
Hatteras
Capt. John (Jersey)
Reliance sport fishing
252-996-0002
Oregon inlet
Capt. Greg
Fishing Frenzy
Yup from wicked tuna
252-216-9034
If you book a trip at Oregon inlet fishing center, walk the docks and talk directly to the captains and mates to book. May save you some money. Fishing center used to add a booking fee, not sure if they still do.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in OBX. Both of these captains are great guys with several years experience.
If in Hatteras village stop by Sonnys for breakfast or lunch. Leanne is one of the owners and is also Jerseys wife.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:13 AM

Thank you Mike! Yea we are excited to be there that time of year due to the variety of possibilities. I tried to book FIN AGAIN out of teach's but he will be out of town that week. Why are the rates cheaper out of hatteras vs oregon inlet? It's several hundred in difference.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 AM

They have to run further out of OI to get to "the promise land" so I'm sure it's to cover their fuel/time.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 AM

So far, nothing to compare to the great day we had on Friday in Chincoteague....As some of you know my oldest son bagged a 300+ pound Sand Tiger shark and we both pulled in several sharpnose sharks (which were delicious on the grill), and a number of spinner sharks...To go along with them we caught a ton of trout and kingfish(which were great to eat as well)...

Saturday we headed to Hatteras, and I have to say the fishing in the sound has not been as good as it was in Chincoteague, especially size wise...I have caught good numbers of trout, redfish, pinfish, croaker, kingfish, and here and there a flounder or puffer has shown up. The number of fish has been great, the size, not so much....

At it again today, will update in a couple of days...

Hope the fishing is still good at home...
Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Bring home a bunch of spot
5th
Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Looks like I am going to disappoint...The spot here are scarce as well...Fishing has been good but still the size has been lacking....

Pretty much a fish every cast, certainly every other cast...

Do miss home, so while I have had a blast, looking forward to being home and hoping to get on some of those bluefish that people have started talking about.

Hope all are doing well.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:21 PM

Boat bottoms and transducers are really starting to "Foul" with the warmer water temperatures.
I better take your boat (with a/c) out to keep the bottom clean
5th