Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Default Patent Pending 6/21 OMG

What a day.

We had a new customer onboard today that has booked several future trips.
Our goal today was to feed them and put them on some fish. I was at the boat at 5am. I had all the rods and tackle ready for a 6 am departure. We are now using Capt Johns spoons exclusively after picking up some nice 20-22 inch blues last Monday. The spread consisted of spreader bars and umbrellas with Johns metal teasers and lures. I had a 10 rod spread and on the way out one of the party asked if we could expect two or three rods to go down at once. I told him that so far this season, two rods were fairly common, three not so much. Well forget that. We had six and seven rods down several times today. Thank goodness they were losing fish on the way in.
The blues are the nicest I've seen in years. A couple had to be pushing 24 inches. The party got a good workout today, and rock were caught early this morning as well.

They left the pier with breakfast in hand. Bacon,egg, and chesse biskits with fruit cups, and Orange Juice too. Mid morning, John gave them smoked bluefish. And finally, for lunch, crabcake platters with apple pie for desert. We actually had to troll out of the area to get away from the fish so they could eat.
This gave me some time to retie some leaders that were worked over pretty well from the blues. After lunch, we hit the blues one more time to leave a good impression on their minds, and back to the dock we headed.
The boat was a mess. Blood everywhere. I had been trying to keep up with it with the washdown hose, but blues get blood up under the gunnel and behind the coolers, as well as all over my clothes, hat and sunglasses.

Here's what I ran. Three roof rods 1) ctr rod back 20 bars with 2 ounces 2)starboard roof rod back 18 bars with 4 ozs 3) port roof rod back 16 bars with 4 ozs. I run 5 more across the transom. 4) starboard angled rod 14 bars/6ozs 5) starboard straight back 10 bars/10 ozs 6) ctr rod 6 bars 20 ozs 7) port straight back 8 bars/10 ozs 8) port angled 12 bars/6 ozs. Then I have two deep rods mid gunnel that are 9) 6 bars/ 20 ozs 10) 6 bars/ 20 ozs.

If you draw it out, you will see I drop 2 bars on each opposite sides of the boat as I get rods deeper and deeper. With a 15 ft beam, this works well for me.

Anyway, I'm tired and sleepy. The airconditioner feels good in the house. I'm headed to the community pool for the final cooldown. A couple hours of floating in the pool should feel great.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Thats fantastic Marty.......some happy customers for sure.

Hoping to get out over the weekend and grab some Blues a little further north. No luck with that yet. But we finally got into some BIG White Perch Tuesday night.

How deep were you running?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

$5.00 will get you $10.00 - you got Bluefish gore behind your ear

Those things sure make a mess - but sure are exciting.

You and Capt. John sure spoil your customers - crab cakes and pie , damn.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Nice work guys! Hope the blues make up this way, they are fun to catch.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Capt, That is an excellent report!! Thank you, Bob