Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Default Team B-Faithful MSSA Tournament

summary:

Friday and Sat out of PLO. Landed 16 fish Friday and 9 fish Saturday. Biggest on Sat went 36.4lbs and we broke our line 3x on with new 50lb power pro, 2 at the rubberband.

Sunday out SPSP we ran to Poplar Island trolled to BPL. Landed 7 fish. Son entered a 25.4lber in the kids division

Missed the top ten by 1.3lbs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mssa1.jpg (73.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg mssa2.jpg (45.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg mssa3.jpg (29.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by B-Faithful; 05-02-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Nice work!

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Tournaments may be suspended after this year. Make them count.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Congrats man. I'm sure Brennan had a blast fishing with dad............Mark
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Brennan had a blast but was ready to skip fishing today.

Reds, as long as there are open seasons I will fight for tournaments. Tournament anglers are subject to the same regs as any other fishermen whether they are fishing a tournament or not. No special priviledges are given to those fishing a tournament. Some tournaments have tighter regulations than (MSSA tournament has a 36" min).
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
Brennan had a blast but was ready to skip fishing today.

Reds, as long as there are open seasons I will fight for tournaments. Tournament anglers are subject to the same regs as any other fishermen whether they are fishing a tournament or not. No special priviledges are given to those fishing a tournament. Some tournaments have tighter regulations than (MSSA tournament has a 36" min).
It didn't take much to move the tournaments back to May. A mandatory 50 percent reduction in catch will move them back to What? December.

Last edited by reds; 05-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
It didn't take much to move the tournaments back to May. A mandatory 50 percent reduction in catch will move them back to What? December.
I like to eat rockfish but would support a 50% reduction in the total catch. Lets hope they do it for all states and address the menhaden fleet as well. More C&R and non kill tournaments would be great for the long term health of this fishery.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
The topic of tournaments was brought up at a fall SFAC meeting. Appeared that most said that the DNR shouldnt even monitoring tournments given that anglers are fishing within regulations. See page 79 here for transcripts: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/ma...Transcirpt.pdf

I will start now by saying that I believe DNR should strongly consider the no-take slot from 2007 to effectively achieve a reduction if necessary. It proved to be very effective as despite an increase in participation in 2007 over 2006 that the harvest was reduced by half even with a 33" min in 06. Tow hurdles to climb in Maryland though. 1. Charter boats capts claimed all those fish died, which I believe to be untrue unless they were not handled properly. 2. DNR complained about the number of recreational violations of the no-take slot. To me this was more of a problem due to a lack of consistancy in regulations from year to year. The first year level of violations would decrease with consistancy to the next year.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockleyneck View Post
I like to eat rockfish but would support a 50% reduction in the total catch. Lets hope they do it for all states and address the menhaden fleet as well. More C&R and non kill tournaments would be great for the long term health of this fishery.
C&R will take a hit also. The stress on C&R fish is well known. Never mind the great handling act some do while picture taking. The user groups will be pointing fingers and nobody wins

Get a new hobby guys, by Chesapeake Bay user groups trying to screw each other, the northern boys will reign.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM

If that is the case then we need new representation at the ASMFC...