Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Default trolling 10/5 mid bay

Allen (justchillin) has not been out fishing since the spring trophy season. He spends all of his free time commercially catching crabs during the summer. Lou and I talked him into taking a day off and going out of Ches. Beach today.

Capt. John and I have been working breaking fish and diving birds anywhere between Deale and the false channel. Fish may erupt at any time, all day long.

Soooooo, we took a leisurly (sp) trek down to Ches Beach and launched around 8:30 am. High tide was 10:30 at Plum Point, so we had both sides of a moving tide to fish today.

As we left the Ches Beach channel, Allen was checking out the starboard side looking for birds (we left the binoculars home). We passed the last green marker from Ches Beach and I saw a bunch of "liar" birds (small terns) on the port side. I said "Allen, any birds on our right?", "Not yet" he said. I said, "Look to your left". Allen said, "Holy s__t".

I swung toward them and watched the downscan (I love it) only to see small bait and maybe some small fish. Nothing to get excited about. I told him, if birds are flying, we will find better marks soon.

Wind was from the wnw at about 10-12 and the waves built as they crossed the bay. We were running with them, so it wasn't too bad getting across in my 22 ft WA. Once on the eastern side, we found birds everywhere. We could litterally troll from one breaking pod to another for miles.

We started with five spreader bars with Capt. John spoons. We quickly reduced our spread to only four rods (two for Lou, two for Allen). They had a hard time keeping their two rods in the water. I just chuckled from the helm at the mayhem behind me.

Luckily, Allen said he wanted to keep some blues today. Small rock (16 inches) and smoker blues (12-16 inches) were everywhere. We decided to only keep the bigger blues, and he wound up with 9 nice ones before saying that was all he wanted today.

We caught only two rock (23-25 inches), but I believe my speed was a determining factor. The waves were so narly, that I had trouble keeping my speed down. If I tried to stay around 3.5 (or anywhere in the 3's), I soon found my speed in the 2's because of heading into waves on a turn. I was forced to troll in the 4's to keep the helm manuverable. Blues love spoons trolled in the 4's. We could have loaded the cooler with blues!!!

As the day went on, the winds subsided, but the birds left us. We found a few more fish near 80A to keep the day interesting, but no keeper rock. Many of the fish were in 17-20 ft (crabpot depth), so we had to keep a sharp lookout.

All in all, not a bad day. Lots of action (probably 25-30 rock and 50-75 blues). Lou was tired and beat when we returned to Ches Beach, so he wants tomorrow off and back to fishing on his boat on Friday. Allen wants to take his boat on Monday (Columbus Day for State employees). So everyone must have had a good time.

I would have liked to have seen more keeper rock, but hey, maybe next time.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Awesome report.

Mike and I haven't done much with Blues this year, but that's probably due in part to only trolling 2 or 3 times.

You have no idea how much I learned from your last post. The details might seem "common sense" to many here, but for a freshwater guy like me those details add up to getting "the bigger picture."

Old 10-06-2011, 04:31 PM

Marty - I was able to fish the same area as you, but 2 days earlier on Monday. Very similar results except hardly any bird activity. I saw the Patent Pending doing a little chumming at the FC. Only breakers I saw was the usual dink fest just north of the light house. I had to keep the drags set so light just to detect all of the little blues and rock. Can't wait for the big cool down as the rivers/creeks give up the bigger fish....Don
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Marty,

Nice report! Thanks for posting. We noticed that they were starting to move the crap pots to some of the fall areas. You need to be frosty even away from the fleet. It should only get better from here.

Don
Old 10-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat09 View Post
Marty,

Nice report! Thanks for posting. We noticed that they were starting to move the crap pots to some of the fall areas. You need to be frosty even away from the fleet. It should only get better from here.

Don
We've been doing pretty well for the past few weeks.....I almost hope NOTHING changes!