Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Default Ok...Your planer board has flipped; what would you do?

I posted on another thread about one of our boards flipping twice yesterday and within 15 seconds the board righted itself. We got lucky. Ok, aside from the obvious like you shouldn't be pulling boards once it gets rough, what would be your course of action if you do flip a board?

Yesterday was my first experience with a flipped board. I use boards built by Skip and they have been great boards, but even well built boards have their limit. I have heard all of the horror stories from the board diving and getting stuck in the mud, diving and coming straight back at the boat and boards swinging across the back to the other side to meet the other board. Any of these conditions are going to have a bad ending or do they have to? Continuing forward is only going to make it worse. The board has flipped because it is rough which means you are probably dealing with 20+ knot winds, so turning off the engine (going to neutral) is going to have the same results except it will be in slow motion.

My conclusion was the best thing to do is to immediately unclip the flipped board and let it go. Crew's responsibility would be to immediately reel in the 3-6 planer rods connected to the flipped board starting with those closest to the boat. You are going to lose your clips, or maybe they just slide off the planer line and stay attached to the rods' main line. Captain's job would be to place a MOB on the chart-plotter and work to maneuver back to the lost board. With only a single board this would not be as difficult. You would want to cut back on your speed so as not to cause the other board to flip. It would probably make since to have the crew start pulling in the planer rods on the other side as you work your way toward the loose board and hopefully be able to do a drive by and grab it. All this assuming you were able to keep your eye on it.

Any thoughts?

Wanted to post this over on TF but feel it would get lost in the peanut gallery.

Last edited by drichitt; 04-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:32 AM

There are two types of freshmen ones that have fliped board and those that are going to flip.

I ran 7 boat rod' Saturday and Sunday in fear of flipping

In the past i have Fliped boards twice. Both times were a fire drill. I'll follow up shortly with my critique

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 AM

I only had a board flip once on me. It dove in such a dramatic way, that it broke the weed wackier line attached to the boat. When it dove, the line popped and sounded like a gun had gone off
We did the "Chinese fire drill" and EVERYONE grabbed a rod and we retrieved everything and got the flipped board back.
So, essentially, we did the same as you, and got lucky.
5th

Off today, fishing is slow to say the least. We have been getting two or three fish a day if you are doing better, you are doing great. If you are skunked, or picking up a single fish, don't despair, it has to get better, I hope
I may have to take up jigging
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM

1. Put the boat in neutral
2. Cuss like a motherf*&#$r
3. Pop the seal on the bottle of Crown that is secured for moments like this
4. Hope I have a sharp knife/cutting pliers and a couple of somewhat sober friends onboard
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM

Don, what you said pretty much covers it. When it happened to me the line got so tight I couldn't unclip it, so I quickly cut the line with my Gerber. Only one thing I would add. I would recommend pulling EVERYTHING in, including the other planer board before trying to retrieve the flipped board. Reason being is, when you approach the flipped board to retrieve it, you need to be really careful of the planer board line which also is a hazard if it gets caught in the prop. I could hear the planer line hitting my prop a few of times, so I had to approach my flipped board from a couple of different directions until I finally got it back.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM

So this winter I built a set of Skip's boards with some small changes. I have pulled out riggers offshore in seas that I probably should have not been fishing in but that is another story.

So as a planner board neube are there any indications of the dreaded flip? Are the boards jumping off the waves? Do they do a chine walk and get unstable? I am just trying to figure out when I should break out the Crown Royal...

Brad
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM

They can ride up a steep wave, stall and get pushed over (flip) by the wave; this is evidently what mine did. They can get airborne off a wave and flip/dive. On Saturday we realized that going into the wind with those periodic rogue waves (a coupla 5 footers mixed in with 3 footers), my boat would have strong momentum going up (into) the wave and then accelerate on the backside. This acceleration would pull the boards much faster. This sudden jerking would make the boards move 'violently'. Once one of my buddies pointed it out to me I cut my power slightly when hitting a big wave and this seemed to help. Different boats might have different results.

My boards now have my name and phone number on them
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM

I guess I need to get my name and number on mine. Thanks for the info.

Brad
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Fortunately I have not had this experience. I DO love Crown Royal, but I'm not sure enough to deliberately flip a board. Since it is bound to happen at some point, maybe I should start looking now for a pair of 13' Whalers to upgrade my boards to!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM

So far I have not flipped a board and hope I dont have to worry about it, but if I ever do your action plan sounds pretty good.

I just hope I didn't jinx myself for tomorrow.