Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Default Oct 6th - Lower Chester River

Ran my 22' Judge down to inside Eastern Neck Island yesterday morning hoping to find some LT fishing opportunities. Found birds working and fish finder was lit up but could only catch shorts. Talked to a few other boats out there that were having the same or worse luck. The way the birds were diving I thought it was going to be an easy morning. Came home with an empty cooler but was still a nice boat ride. (Breeze did pick up a bit for the ride back to Chestertown).

Planned to troll the Bay in the afternoon, but never made it. Hear the bite is pretty tough out there right now.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:43 AM

It was horrible yesterday tried tollys, podickory,Belvedere, love point, swam point and eastern bay below the narrows trolling and jigging without a single bite. Covered a lot of water. Seems like when the flood tides finally went out the fish and bait went with it. But on a good note so did all the grass making trolling much more enjoyable.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Good to know it wasn't just me!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 AM

I moved last month to a house on Eastern Bay and I've been kayak fishing and fishing from the pier almost every day or night. Found a clam bed to kayak fish over and have been catching up to 18" at best.

Lots of BIG White Perch have been visiting the pier in the evenings and a few small Rockfish as well but not many. The water is super clear there and it's fun to watch the fish attack the lure from 6 or 7 feet away.

Every weekend there are boats jigging out in the deeper water of Eastern Bay but I can't see what they've been catching unless I look through binoculars....and that gets tiresome and interferes with my beer drinking.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM

It's been challenging the last couple of trips for me. I covered a lot of water before eventually finding them stacked up and pulling in doubles off umbrellas with several rods down at a time But there was a lot of bait filled, but unproductive water, that I ran over

Today, I had a friend out in the morning, and I could only hit the water after noon for a short while
I ran south from the Bodkin to check in with Phil. He had two barely legal fish after trolling 5-6 hrs I left him to run and gun (I was solo) and told him I'd call if I found anything worthy.
I headed east and found nothing but bait. Headed north, but still on the eastern side. Drifted a few areas that looked promising (drop offs and humps) without a nibble.
Decided to head home and check a few places along the way. Saw a few birds (5) circling close to the water. If I see two sitting together, they usually have a dead fish they are pecking on
Because, this was the first good looking opportunity, I drifted over the spot with engine off (so not to spook my only potential "find"). The meter lit up with suspended fish
My first cast of a 6 inch bkd hooked up a NICE fish (28-29 inches). They were here
Because I was alone and just had fish for dinner a few nights ago, I slid her over the side. This is the FIRST time I have ever see what happened next. Other people often say they can see their jigs working on their fish finders, I normally don't. But when I released her, I looked at my screen and saw the large mark she left swimming down to the bottom Kind of put a tear in my eye!!

Well, maybe not

But it was neat to see. I quickly called Phil to see if he was still on the water. He answered his phone, "I know, I know; you are calling to tell me you found nice fish. However, I just put the boat on the trailer at SP".
So I ran home and thanked Uncle Jake as I passed him at #5 day marker (those of you who fish with me know what that means).

For a short trip (2 hrs), I was LUCKY to find some fish.

Sorry for the photo, I had to put the phone on "selfie" mode.
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2580.jpg (32.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 PM

AND; the sun was in my eyes (I forgot my hat and sunglasses).

Or was it that I was so "bound up" from that breakfast burrito

Anyway, sorry for the pic.
5th
Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Jay and I said hi to jake as we passed this morning, and I guess he's pissed at us! Nothing yet but only 11:05 and still at it. Not much to see, come on Uncle Jake put them under us!