Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Eye opening video

First, maybe somebody computer literate could post the link to this video on CBA for us so we can all see it without going to another web-sight.

On Tidal Fish, there is a video that you have to watch.
1) Go to the Northern Neck Virginia Angler
2) Look for the thread, 2014 Rockfish Season Recap - 12 minute video
3) Open the thread and play the video!!

Make comments:
I'll start. If you listen to many of the anglers on some of the other web - sights; these rockfish are dainty creatures that must be handled with kid gloves. I have always professed that the cows we catch during PSCR are released unharmed and will thrive when returned to the water (unless gill hooked; or 2/3 dead from lack of oxygen).
A quickly caught cow that has a picture taken and released will be fine. But, OH NO, I'm told that the process of "dragging" them behind the boat causes them to release their eggs. Or at least, it places sooooo much stress on them that the eggs will not hatch. Then I'm told that netting them, especially with a net made of something other than rubber, will cause severe damage to the fish. And don't ever get your hands near the gills!! Don't reach inside the gill plate to lift the fish, EVER.
Additionally, when you release the fish boat side, lay her in the water and wash water over the gills until she has enough strength to "break away" on her own.

If you don't adhere to these strict rules, she will die

Now don't get me wrong; I believe in safe handling techniques I get the fish to the boat ASAP (or else the crew is going to call you Mary) I usually don't need a net (my crew bitches that it's too small anyway) because I can lip it or Boga grip it instead. I take a quick photo, and try to place her back in the water head first. If for any reason I think we had her out of the water too long, I will resuscitate her if needed.
But the way these fish are handled, with biologists on board, shows the fish are not as sensitive as you are led to believe.
REMEMBER, these are pregnant cows loaded with eggs in late Dec, and early Jan. when this video was shot.

Ok; feel free to comment on anything in the video.
5th (Marty)
Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Not sure how to "cut and Paste" with my new Apple
5th
Old 03-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Video is now on the Chesapeake Bay Forum as well
5th
Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 PM

This DMILLER guy is in the business of selling videos. Give it time and they will be bashing him on that site. If you do a search he had a video last fall I believe of a trip where they were releasing after stuffing their hands in their gills and throwing them back like they were Joe Flacco throwing a Td pass to Tory Smith. You see what happened to the Ravens and if we don't conserve what little is left of the resource we will be on same playing field as Joe, just standing there with nothing to throw at. Go figure that the guy is from Reedville,Va.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
This DMILLER guy is in the business of selling videos. Give it time and they will be bashing him on that site. If you do a search he had a video last fall I believe of a trip where they were releasing after stuffing their hands in their gills and throwing them back like they were Joe Flacco throwing a Td pass to Tory Smith. You see what happened to the Ravens and if we don't conserve what little is left of the resource we will be on same playing field as Joe, just standing there with nothing to throw at. Go figure that the guy is from Reedville,Va.
Yep; saw that video. I too cringed at the way they were flung overboard. The only thing different about this video, is that biologists were onboard and it was a tagging session.
Like I said, I believe everyone should perform good C/R technique, but this shows they are more durable than what some people profess.
5th

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 03-11-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Old 03-11-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Yep; saw that video. I too cringed at the way they were flung overboard. The only thing different about this video, is that biologists were onboard and it was a tagging session.
Like I said, I believe everyone should perform good C/R technique, but this shows they are more durable than what some people profess.
5th
I guess we will see when the tags start coming back. Would be interesting to see how many are recaptured alive after the way they were handled.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM

IMHO - as long as air and water temperatures are fairly cool - C/R for Rockfish is fine.

I agree 100% - they are a sturdy fish. Look at how many Diamond Jim tags were recaptured - these Rock were caught by hook / line , measured - then a tag inserted into them before being put back. This was in warmer weather to boot.

Taking extra care as a sport fishermen - ensures they survive C/R.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

I bet they will have a field day with that video on TF

Old 03-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Greg; I love the pic.
5th