Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 AM

Thumbs up 91½ Years Old and Still Catching Fish - 6/21

June 21st, 2013, the First Day of Summer,
Livelining Down a Dream with Pop on a Spectacular Day

Summary
Today, Kate and I had the privilege of treating my 91½-year-old father to not only an epic day on the bay weather-wise, but to an epic hour of catching stripers on live spot.

It took the entire morning to weed through 45 croakers, but we eventually put 15 spot in the live well. We caught our bait at three different locations in and just outside the South River on live hard bottoms in 10 to 18 feet of water. After lunch, we started looking for rockfish, and eventually found them in numbers at about 3 pm in 26 to 28 feet of water at a drop-off.

Pop Bottom Fishing for Bait

We chummed chunks of menhaden and spot while live lining and we limited out with six keeper rockfish. Along with the keepers, we caught and released 3 to 4 undersized stripers between 17 and 18 inches. We kept one 10-inch croaker, which we had for breakfast along with a small rockfish fillet. In the striped bass category, we kept two 19-inch fish, one measuring out at 20½ inches, two 21-inchers, and Pop caught the big fish of the day at a shade over 22 inches.

After a slight delay with finding bloodworms, we launched at a little after 9 am, and we pulled the vessel at a little past 5 pm. We left the fish biting, and used all of the fish in the live well with the exception of one lucky spot.

With six fish on ice, I wanted to jig, but thought the better of it. “It’s not like I never caught a rockfish on a jig before.” I cracked a beer, started the engine, and we headed back to the marina with a 4 to 5 knot breeze at our backs. We made it back to the marina with plenty of daylight to spare, pulled the boat, then offloaded and cleaned up further. I then cleaned the fish while Pop and Kate rested in the shade. We headed home tired and happy at about 6:15 pm.

Epilogue: A Day the One Dreams Of
Kate did a great job on the net, and needed no coaching when it came to live lining. I could have done a better job assisting Pop to get the hang of it, and realized the following morning that I did not clue him in on one or two nuances, most notably lowering the rod tip as the fish is running to ensure a good hook set

This was by far my best live lining experience. I’ve caught bigger fish live lining, but I never had so many runoffs in such a short amount of time. Plus, I not only got another opportunity to “return the favor” and take Pop fishing and introduce him to live lining, but we had an epic day with both the weather and the catching. This was the type of day that one dreams of and relishes for a lifetime.

The Bay was Largely Flat Today

Conditions
Low tide at Thomas Point Lighthouse was at 10:31 am, and high tide was at 3:23 pm. Low tide at Bloody Point Lighthouse was at 9:58 am, and high tide was at 2:37 pm. The moon was 89% full and waxing. The salinity at Annapolis was 7.7 PSU and had been trending down since the beginning of June. The water temperature was 73º F. The air temperature on the bay was about 68º F in the early morning hours, and rose to about 76º F by the time we pulled the anchor at 4:20 pm.

The early morning temperature at our house in Bowie was a cool 58º F. Winds were out of the south and were 3 to 5 knots when we launched, laid down to 0 to 2 knots when we crossed the bay, and increased back to 3 to 5 knots by day’s end. Winds were 15 to 18 knots out of the south the previous evening. Waves were anywhere from flat to a mild 3 to 6-inch chop. Our biggest issue with seas today was boat wakes.

Busted Tackle: We Had to Cut Off Numerous Hooks Today in Deep-Hooked Fish

Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 AM

It's been so warm the last couple of days, the photo with the cold beer in it looks best
Congrat's on a great day.
5th
Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Looks lilke you guys had a good day.
Enjoy it now. I lost my Dad (fishing partner) two years ago, but the memories are still with me.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM

That is great to see - 91 ( and a half ) and still cranking fish in.

Tags
chesapeake, live lining, pop, returning the favor