Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 PM

Default 10/24 Good news/Bad news

Capt. John wanted to take a scouting trip from Deale this morning. We leasurly pulled away from the dock at 8am. Water temp in the creek was 59* (that's good news). We quickly found some "liar" birds just outside of the breakwater. Dropped a few lines and caught a few dink blues.
Ran toward 80A and glassed the area while running. Just north of Sharps Island Light we saw some bigger birds working in deeper water (40ft). Again a few small blues and small rock mixed.
Worked the edge toward the false channel without seeing any more activity. Ran over to Parkers Creek and trolled a bit and scoped the area (nothing). Ran back east and into the Choptank and saw three other charters working. LOTS of bait, but not being harassed by many fish. Saw two small fish boarded and we picked up 4 nice blues for the box.
Ran back between Sharps and 80A and saw lots of terns diving individually (spread out) in the mid bay. They were hitting the water like Gannets (), but they were small terns. I did see one pelican flying past (not diving). Ran back across the bay scoping the western shore and docked around 2pm (6 hours on the water).
Now all hell could break loose this evening, but from what I saw today (very little bird activity and fewer blues), I would say the blues might be leaving the area . The water temp was 62-63* in the main bay.
If the blues are headed out, we need the rock to fill the void. Bait seemed to be stageing at the mouth of the Choptank. The "liar" birds had to be working "rainminnows". I need to see some larger bait (menhaden) and I will get excited.
The rain (fresh water) has given us an unusual summer. I hope the fall produces more consistancy. If I was headed out tomorrow or Wed.; I would try the area south of South River and West River in 25-35 ft. It worked well last year this time of year for resident fish. Our trip below Deale today was a bust. Captain John said, "I could have sat home and cut up twenty dollar bills on the living room floor (think cost of deisel) instead of coming out today".
Best of luck to anyone headed out this week. I would assume, Jamie will do well jigging shallow water, but trolling wasn't working today.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Default 10-24-2011, evening

Thanks Marty, great report!

Mike and I went out for about 3 hours this evening to some shallows north of the bridge that have been HOT for us over the past 8 weeks.

Well....with the cooler water, it seems this HOT area is getting cooler too.

I started out Perch fishing and soon figured out what they wanted. The 1/4 ounce beetlespin rigged with a small plastic itsy bitsy bass assasin got me a few small fish. I switched to a big Super Duper and got into the Perch like crazy. For about 30 minutes every cast produced a fish. Most were pretty small, but some of the bigger ones were in the 10 to 12 inch range.

I caught one undersized Rockfish tonight....he topped out about 16 inches and went back in the water super fast.

We had about 5 other boats join us in the area and NONE pulled out any fish at all that we could see.

The water was about 62 degrees. We got out at high tide and the tide was falling fast for us. From 5 to 8pm it was moving pretty good.

We trolled a spoon for a few minutes on the way back in and I got one hit in about 8' of water but didn't hook up.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the report Marty and I have to say I have not seen too much bird activity North of the bridge this year. Now you know that Jamie and his crew will find fish on Wednesday they always do. Can't wait until I can retire and fish on the weekdays, that's when the fishing gets good.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Thanks for the report Marty and I have to say I have not seen too much bird activity North of the bridge this year. Now you know that Jamie and his crew will find fish on Wednesday they always do. Can't wait until I can retire and fish on the weekdays, that's when the fishing gets good.
If you've seen ANY, then you've seen a lot more than me.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
If you've seen ANY, then you've seen a lot more than me.
I seen them flying but that's about it... I think they were heading South....
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com