Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Trolling 9/23

This post is for "cage rattler"; I spoke to him on the radio this morning and promised a report on CBA.

Left the slip on Bodkin Creek this morning around 7am and headed south. Dropped lines east of Gibson Island and trolled that area and down just below Balt. Light.

We probably boated 30 to 40 fish. Only one was a keeper rock (23 in).

Ran 6 lines and had two #0 drones, two #1 drones, and two #15 tonys. We had lots of small 15 inch blues and rock hit the smaller drones. I will switch them out with tonys and see if it discourages the smaller blues and rock from hitting the tiny lure.

Good news was lots of bait in the area. Lots of breaking glass minnows but no birds or fish feeding on them. Mostly see "nervous water" with some glints of bait flipping, but nobody home underneath.

The "harvest moon" had the tides ripping today. The water was calm due to light winds. The water temp. was around 76 degrees (went up from the couple of warm days).

You just had the feeling that things are about to bust wide open with a few more cooler nights.

At least we had a lot of action, and a good chance to test our spread.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 AM

Glad you got some pullage in.

For some reason I thought you were alot farther south than that. I thought that was a pretty strong signal on the VHF..lol

I almost headed down that way. Didnt have much luck at MoW or 9ft knoll.
We wound up heading towards swan point lookin for birds and then went to a spot i usually always find fish and it didnt disapoint although no keepers in the mix of small rock, blues & WP.

We probably caught around 30 as well working a pod of fish under some working birds. I was using an ultralight setup with a small gold kastmaster and was jigging up 12-14 " rock & blues along with some decent size white perch as well.

I tried to get out of work but had to be in at 2PM so had to head in around 11.
What a gorgeous morning it turned out to be!!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM

It was good talking to you yesterday morning. If we had found more keepers, I would have tried to call you back and invite you in on some action. We went through enough bait that the rods were quivering as we went through, unfortunatly, we would only pick up dink rock or blues.

I eventually began to wonder if it was actually schools of rock and blues we were seeing. I know when we troll in the spring, we run through schools of alwives that are 8 to 12 inches, and these marks looked similar.

I guess it's too much to hope that they will grow another 6 to 8 inches in the next month.

Even though they were small, they looked healthy.
5th (Marty)
Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 PM

And here I thought the blues were gone for the fall....

Got a decent sized half dozen of them on Swim Shads and Bucktails Thursday evening....

Of course I went through some shads though....

The last two full moons have not brought me any luck with the Rock....Hoping that it changes over the weekend....

We shall see, will let ya know....
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM

The Blues will hang around until the water temp drop to roughly 62f. Howvere thes little rats may take off sooner. In the ocean the Blues have been in some cold water lately. I have caught them in late October around Queen Ann’s marina

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Nut View Post
The Blues will hang around until the water temp drop to roughly 62f. Howvere thes little rats may take off sooner. In the ocean the Blues have been in some cold water lately. I have caught them in late October around Queen Ann’s marina
Temps so far here at the end of Sept are running 2-3* above last year. Unless we get some cold weather that sticks around, those commies might still be here in November.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Although most years I cant stand the those "commies"....This year has been fair to good at best....

Caught some very nice fish...Also went fishing a lot and not catching....

I am going to look at it like a challenge....If they are both trying to school the same bait, I just need to step up as a "catcherman" (not fisherman) and target the Stripers better....

If these temps (and high salinity) put a damper on some of my fishing this summer...I am hoping like hell they keep the bite active until way into December.....
Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Default Try On the Bottom

We fished Thursday as well a little S of you and found some nice rock on the bottom of schools of commies working the top in 30 - 40 foot of h2o, they were easy to read on the meter. Took us a while to find em though but got a limit for 3 guys in about 15 minutes once we did. Hated leaving them biting around 11:30am on such a sweet day!
The other thing that will spook those commies out is freshwater which it looks like we are going to get from these rains,the rock don't mind it,lets hope.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
The other thing that will spook those commies out is freshwater which it looks like we are going to get from these rains,the rock don't mind it,lets hope.
Good point JohnnyO, lets hope....not that there's anything wrong with commies (cut/damaged leaders, missing tails, lost jigs and lures, etc). Now that I think about it, I hope it rains like chit
Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
....not that there's anything wrong with commies (cut/damaged leaders, missing tails, lost jigs and lures, etc).
Jim from Marty's must be hoping they stay around forever.
5th (Marty)