Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Default Took the plunge - Registered for Masters License Class

I guess it was time I put my money where my mouth is.

I just registered for the two week Masters License Class at the Annapolis School of Seamanship followed by the 1 day First Aid & CPR class.

I have enough time on big boats to qualify for a 50 ton inland License, I have a guide license waiting and it looks like I will have the opportunity to move to the pointy end at least on a fill-in basis next year.

Hopefully having spent the last 25 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club will help a little. Rules of the Road and navigation have been a pretty integral part of my job - hopefully some of it will convey.

Although it's a little late to ask since they already have my money; does anyone have any experience with the Annapolis School of Seamanship?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 PM

Congratulations Tawn;

If things don't work out on the charters, you can drive the shuttles around the harbor in Baltimore
Best of luck to you.
5th (Marty)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

They have a good reputation Tawn. I took the course with 3B's Captains School because they fit my schedule best.. By the time you are done the course, you will have seen the questions and the way they word things 100x's. Just study rules. The rest is common sense. Not overly hard..

ps. you may not have to get a guide license from someone else. Check with DNR

Last edited by B-Faithful; 08-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM

Tawn, I did the Mariners School for my 6 pack and then the 50 ton upgrade. They had an online practice testing site that I just kept cramming in my brain. It was tough for me cause I'm older than dirt! You'll do fine.

bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 08-27-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Forgot a word
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
I just registered for the two week Masters License Class.
So does this mean that when you pass, we ALL have to call you "Master" or just your wife?

Just kidding of course! Good luck!!!!!

Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM

It's what you have to call him when he's baiting up after he becomes a master that gets awkward.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM

Tawn,
I did my 6 pack and masters course with them last year. I was very happy with them and would be happy to answer any questions you might have on them. I opted for the long weekend courses, but if you have the time to knock it out in two weeks back to back more power to you. Good luck!

Andrew
Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info and offer of help Andrew.

I am going to take the class Monday through Friday for two weeks straight. The first aid and CPR classes are on the Saturday immediately following the class. I just want to get it all wrapped up as quick as possible. Greg has been a great help with answering all my dumb questions.

I went to the Port of Baltimore yesterday and applied for the TWIC card. Tomorrow, I'm going to go get a replacement Social Security Card and I'm going to try and get the physical knocked out next week.

My goal is to be ready to submit everything to the REC the minute I complete the course and pass the tests.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM

In case anyone is curious and wanted to follow along as I plow through this process, today I completed the DOT physical at the Riva Medical Center in Edgewater which was recommended to me by several Deale Captains.

Without any medical issues it was pretty quick and painless- $85, It appears as though all the "I"s are dotted and all the "t's crossed on the CG-719K physical form.

I printed off the "719K form common errors and omissions checklist" off the USCG website and went over the form twice with the MD before I let her leave the room.

Picked up my first of three letters of recommendation from Capt Bobby of the Bonnie Sue, I've got the other two lined up and should have them by the end of the weekend.

Going to White Glove Drug and Alcohol Testing Center in Huntingtown Saturday morning for the urinalysis.

I am hoping my TWIC card comes in soon, I applied for it in mid-September.

Class starts this Monday in Annapolis.

I owe a big thanks to Greg for helping me decipher some of the required documentation.

Last edited by Tawn; 10-16-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
They have a good reputation Tawn. I took the course with 3B's Captains School because they fit my schedule best.. By the time you are done the course, you will have seen the questions and the way they word things 100x's. Just study rules. The rest is common sense. Not overly hard..

ps. you may not have to get a guide license from someone else. Check with DNR
You with your captains license ???? Oh **** !!!! Tawn you should have called me my brother in law owns annapolis school of seamanship.