Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Point Lookout is on Fire

We had a great day today out of Buzz's. We caught 8 big fish, many with sea lice. 42, 40, 38, 38, 38, 37 and 36. Six of the eight came on planer rods while two hit a deep umbrella. All fish were caught in deep water (80'+), right in the middle of the channel. Hot area was from 70 down to 68; even saw Greg Buckner as he was just finishing up well before noon. We have had a rough fall so far and decided to bite the bullet and run way south. What a difference we found down there. Lots and lots of serious bait. I am so tired of not seeing any bait and what we have been seeing is very small pods here and there. The bait we found was from the bottom up to within 20 feet of the surface. Didn't see many fish on the FF but these big fish are hanging close to this bait. They seemed to like the green glitter shads today. Had a few fish spitting up 8-10" bunker. Their bellies were so fat and full, so there was no more room to stuff in any more food. Another common theme was fish were hitting inside board rods on turns; in particular those back the furthest.

Had a great group of friends helping out today....Dan (1morecast), Rob (Fish nut) and Mike (Garlien)

I encourage anyone to get in on this and get down to Point Lookout area. These fish have been in this area for the last 3 weeks, or so, and they are not really moving all that fast northward. Only 2 weeks left. Mike at Buzz's was great. He spent time filling us in with what intel he had and helped get us pointed in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-30 Buzz's.jpg (32.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by drichitt; 12-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks for a awesome trip Don.We had a great captain and crew of guys that all worked well together.I knew that your spread was deadly we just needed to drag it threw some feeding fish.Days like this make you forget all about the bad days.I guess I can take the for sale sign off of my boat now.LOL

Dan (1morecast)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM

That looks like one happy crew It appears that Mike is down to using just one glove.

That's the kind of trip we have been looking for as well. I agree, the bait just isn't further north. I wouldn't be surprised to see these fish stay south.

I bet rigging the spread was easy with that crew. Great job; nice report.

5th (Marty)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Sounds like it was definitely worth the drive. Enjoyed talking with you on Friday Don, it was a good day for me as well. Wasn't sure what to expect on Saturday, with the added boat traffic, but fishing was just as good. That is until the fog rolled in around noon Oh yeah, thanks for the tip about the green glitter shads. I ended up catching 3 of my fish on green glitter today.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
Sounds like it was definitely worth the drive. Enjoyed talking with you on Friday Don, it was a good day for me as well. Wasn't sure what to expect on Saturday, with the added boat traffic, but fishing was just as good. That is until the fog rolled in around noon Oh yeah, thanks for the tip about the green glitter shads. I ended up catching 3 of my fish on green glitter today.
Jeff it was absolutely worth the trip. Already planning one, maybe two, more trips next week. It was great talking with you as well. Always good to have someone to network with out on the water.

Last edited by drichitt; 12-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Don,

Again, congratulations on your limit and then some, It was great chatting with you at the dock and out on the water on Friday. Unfortunately, we didn't have any of the green glitter shads with us, but we were far from skunked.

I was especially pleased with the birds and jigging at the end of the evening right out front, and finally breaking the dink jinx on light tackle.

I was grateful that I finally got a shot at the waters out of Buzz's, and it was worth the trip for us too. I now have enough meat to carry me to spring.

I saw where you guys as well as me made Buzz's website.
http://www.buzzsmarina.com/index.php?/fishtales
I look pissed, but I was happy but dog tired (as I'm sure you all were).

Don
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Marty,

Sure did miss ya out there...Really hope we get chance to get out again, especially where the fish are...Don made it easy for us...Sure was great finally getting some...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Congrats on a great day.

Looks like the gamble to trailer that far really paid off.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Nice work. Thanks for the report. I'll have bite the bullet and make the drive down there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomytek View Post
Nice work. Thanks for the report. I'll have bite the bullet and make the drive down there.
I don't think you'll regret it. I've heard similar reports from another friend of mine who keeps his boat at Solomon's.

And Chessie27 has pretty much confirmed that spending too much time mid or upper bay isn't likely to produce.