Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 PM

Default A very windy 11/27 report

Left Middle River around 10 heading south to troll with some friends from SC in for the TG week. Got to Patapsco River and dropped the lines on a big incoming tide against 25 to 30 kts of wind against the tide. Made for some very, very big waves in the channel. Here is a picture of my friend as we headed downwind. Took about 30 waves over the bow of the maycraft. Prop out of the water on several occasions. Didnt see anyone else crazy enough to be out above the bridge today. Would have headed further south but it was tough going out there. Finally launched two umbrellas and two tandem parachutes. Not much bait but did get one slot fish for my 11 year old God son! I am so very glad I have a pilot house boat. There is no way we could have survived out there for 3 hours with anything else. Crazy times but fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9760web.jpg (72.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM

Here is another picture looking downwind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9759web.jpg (73.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 AM

Putting the bow under would not be as much concern to me as the prop out of the water. Prop out means no control and the boat could easily broach.

There is a reason small craft advisory's and gale warnings are posted.

Please practice safe boating.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 AM

Tim, I think my wife saw you out there on her walk yesterday. She came home from walking around the point that looks over the bay saying it looked rough out there but she saw a boat that looked like our old one. Now that you posted this, maybe she did
Old 11-28-2009, 10:32 AM

It was safe and never were we out of control. My boating resume has more than 10,000 miles of sailing around the globe and motor boating on it. I have been out in far, far worse seas in the north atlantic. I have been on a boat hit by lightning, a sinking, and several medical emergencies. With that said, we had all the precautions taken. Thanks for the sentiments thought. We certainly need to watch out for each other on the water. Several other boats came buy and waived and checked in on 68. That is what i like about the bay boating community. Its a community.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Give 'em hell Tim. Great report. It can be challenging being in rough conditions and trying to manage a spread, but fun at the same time. I need to get one of those pilot house boats...Don
Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM

Tim, I'm glad to see you got out and caught a fish. If my boat was running I'd been out there too. I wouldn't let a little wind stop me either. Bob
Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
It was safe and never were we out of control. My boating resume has more than 10,000 miles of sailing around the globe and motor boating on it. I have been out in far, far worse seas in the north atlantic. I have been on a boat hit by lightning, a sinking, and several medical emergencies. With that said, we had all the precautions taken. Thanks for the sentiments thought. We certainly need to watch out for each other on the water. Several other boats came buy and waived and checked in on 68. That is what i like about the bay boating community. Its a community.
I certainly glad you have a little experience under your belt.
My experience told me to keep my 40' boat in the marina and to cancel my party.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM

This is a lecture-free zone, reds! Go to the other board for that stuff.

BTW, I was out there today also--out of Solomons. Trolled for a few hours and called it a day.