Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Kinda like a baseball game off Breezy 5/26 w pics

Those of you who know me realize I'm not much of a sports fan but today was like a baseball game - a lot of strikes and hits but few field goals.

I got to Breezy at 6:00 am and no one was there - not even my crew. Low tide let me launch the boat easily - high and flood high are tough.

Got the girl wet and my buddy Huagn arrived with the guys who fished two weeks ago - chum trolling. We ran - or tried to run SE over a very choppy bay. Managed 18 knots but that was about it. Haze limited our view but radar showed only one boat running. Watched the meter as we went from 30 to 35 feet on west side. Decent marks but scattered. Got down below #77B and swung around north to set the spread. Dave was green already - I knew east/west would do him in but had to troll that way. Had 7 lines out - all rigged deep with umbrellas / storm shads or bucktails.

Turned east and Dave hurled. Hate to see that - damn good looking donut wasted. We trolled out to 45 feet but lost the marks so turned back to shallower water. First inning was a no hitter but second inning we got two hits but they were a few yards short . Trolled into 30 feet and lost the marks so decided to concentrate on the 35 to 45 foot area. This is about 1 1/2 mile off Parkers - very slow slope. Seems to take forever to change depth.

Got another strike and it stayed tight. Henry reeled in a fat 20 incher - it's stomach packed with Mayworms.

Great but score was 6 to 1 at this point. Wind slowly dropped off to about 10 knots and most whitecaps subsided. Dave was up next but let Huagn be desinated hitter. We worked out to 45 feet again and water was much cleaner then in around 35 feet. Meter showed lots of bait and slightly different marks. Sure enough - 4 of the Storms tails were intercepted by the visiting Bluefish . Rerigged the bitten off lures and went back to the 35 foot area near #77B. Few more strikes but found small Rock most likely hitting the teasers. Decided to punt and changed a few rigs around. Left a 20 oz MoJo out on wire line - just in case a late trophy was still around. Added a white umbrella with 1 oz 7/0 bucktail ( Cylde's ) and shortly later it got hit. Fat 24 incher went in the penalty box. The marks on the meter were driving me nuts ( short ride ) - 15 to 20 feet down in 35 feet. Stayed over them in big loops and a downrigger with a white umbrella got hit hard. Looked like a solid three point jump shot and soon we had a nice 29 incher on ice.

VHF weather predicted small craft at 2:00 but at 11:00 - it was only a light chop.
Worked the 35 to 40 foot area in large loops and had a rough RBI average going. Seemed about every 4-5 strikes would hook up. The fish were all fat and stuffed with Mayworms but still wolfed down the Golden Mullet or Chartruese back Storm 5 inch lures. Not sure what I pressed on camera but it went into video and ate up the memory chip. Wind slowly picked up as we trolled north past Parkers creek. We had 6 keepers and needed 4 more for a limit. Time was running out - bottom of 4th quarter and it was 5 strikes and goal to go. Found a huge bait ball in 35 feet off the old silver ball ( water tower ) and it had nice fish with it. Wind picked up around 2:00 but we stuck it out. The wire out fit and downriggers got most but the other lines - 16 ozs out 125' and 12 ozs out 150 ' also got fish. Few were just under and went back - foul balls , I guess. We hooked our final 4 keepers but only got two of them to the boat. Sorta like a roughing the pitcher call. Pulled lines at 3:00 and called it a day. Water was rust colored but lot of bait in it.

It's tough seeing these awesome marks on the meter but not getting them to bite. I'm thinking 1-2 weeks and it will be good fishing for these 18 to 28 inchers.

By then - it will be soccer season .
Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Sounds like you had a good day. Way to hang in there until the last inning/final round/last tick of the clock/final buzzer or whatever.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM

I remember now that last Friday we had 4 or 5 lures get their tails bitten off.

I guess it'll be time to troll spoons soon? Last year we did that in July and limited out on Rock and put a few decent Blues in the cooler for the fellas that liked them.