Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 AM

Default Mid Winter

Yes, I consider this to be mid winter (Feb 1st). We only have about 6 weeks of potentially bad weather to deal with before splashing our boats.
I don't know what the groundhog is going to say, but I predict we DON"T have 6 full weeks of winter. I think we are going to see mild temps late in February

Our JohnQuills are already about an inch out of the ground. I haven't seen any of our Croccus popped up yet, but it's still early for that to happen.

So far, the snowblower has sat idle in the garage

I hope I didn't just jinks us

I expect to be "fishing" a lot this year. If Trophy season isn't any better than the last two years, I may not be "catching"; but I'll be fishing
On days when the winds are just a tad strong, I'll be jumping on either Capt. John's 46 Markley or Lolo's 36 Judge Jeff is taking his time splashing this year due to the distances he had to run last year for Trophy fish

With Bruce's new 27 Judge included in our "group", we will at least have good intel about where the fish are (or aren't).

I work closely with several Charters out of Deal, Mark (Mlag) has access to Charter information out of South River, Lolo is friends with several captains as well. Add to this "our" Judge group (Bruce, Mark, Jason, Lolo, Greg) and we have some water covered

Love it when I hear Mlag say over the radio, "Duck in behind me" Or I see Jason working shallow water for his fish

Our "contingent" of Judge friends adds to the success of all of us (not that Mlag needs it) Throw in the mix of other guys on this site (Garlein, Phil, etc.) and we have quite a network.

I still have about 4 weeks of Physical Therapy on the arm, so that schedule is working out just about right !!

Time to start dunking parachutes in dish water, spray a little DeTangler on the "hair", comb them out, and hang them over the wife's clothes line in the basement to dry Throw some new shads on them and I'll be ready to tie new leaders (60#) to the tandems.

Always start the new year by stripping off about 10-12 ft of "old" line off your reels. Tie the "cleanest" knot you can to your "NEW" terminal tackle (swivel). It's time to paint those planer boards (if needed).

Yep, I'm getting excited. The shows have started, we are spending money, and the slip fees will be coming in soon

I'll try to post success or failure when I get out. Damn groundhog better not ruin my mood. Come on Spring
5th
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM

Guess I’m just chopped liver? If the boat is ready I may try the trophy season. Otherwise my trophy season will be back home in the Florida Keys in May chasing and catching the true trophy fish, the silver king (tarpon)! May even try a few deep dropping trips in the afternoon/evenings trying for swordfish although someone else may have to reel those in! I’d rather be the harpoon man anyhow. As we say when sticking them with the poon, Death from above!! While there may start looking for another home so all you guys can have a place to come during these ****ty Maryland winters. Don’t get me wrong I love the change of seasons, 90 during the summer and 80 during the winter with one week of cold, brrrr..... the 50’s! Not to mention when the seasons change so does the fishing. Mahi mahi, Blackfin tuna, permit, bone fish, redfish,grouper,etc. in the summer, King, spanish,cero mackerel,bone fish, red fish, black drum and god knows what else that feeds during the fall mullet run. Sailfish, mangrove,yellowtail,red snappers,hogfish,swordfish in the winter. Then allof the previous mentioned species including tarpon, stone crab claws and spiny lobster in the spring/early summer! Too many species too list and dynamite weather year round not to move back! Yea there may be a hurricane every few years but still beats shoveling snow every winter. But I guess I could stay in Maryland and fish for stripers, if they even show in numbers and quality size to fish for them! Winter is beginning to wane but remember last year when we got our biggest snowstorm on the first day of spring?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Hey Mike;
You're not chopped liver. Thought you got thrown off this site (not really, but I remember you saying you forgot your password and couldn't log on anymore)

Besides, I figured you would be fishing with me and running my boards for me (inside joke).

Bruce was fishing today in Florida and had on jeans, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and down vest The guys next to him were wearing coveralls

Don't remind me of things like "biggest snowstorm on 1st day of Spring"; I'm trying to forget those things
5th
Old 02-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Breaking News
Pauatawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning; predicting an early Spring
5th
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM

I will get my first taste of fishing the first week of March...

Heading to KY to fish for a few days... Then hopefully back home to warmer weather and water...

Miss ya guys...
Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 AM

Phil Says it will be soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patuxent Phil .jpg (13.3 KB, 8 views)

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot