Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Trigger Fish Bonanza and Species Caught now at 42 total

Temps dipped to near 67 this am at sunrise But with a forecast of mostly sunny for today we decided to brave the elements and go fishing. Long sleeve shirts were needed until about 8:30. It's all relative I guess

Headed out to the outer reef again today and found the recent frontal passage had brought the water temps down a few degrees. We knew this would make catching fish a challenge. Didn't find any of the typical species in the mix, but did find lots of trigger fish willing to bite. Trigger fish can be a real pain in the butt as they are masters at stealing those expensive 40 cent live shrimp. If you are on your game you can sense when they start nibbling and increase your chance of having them find the business end of your hook by twitching your line. We caught a number of them and put 4 nice ones in the cooler. Here is one of the larger Ocean Trigger Fish caught by my wife Dawn...

My wife has gotten pretty good at this reef fishing stuff and also caught this beautiful Queen Trigger. Of course it was TOO pretty to be kept....

This unusual fish is called a Scrawled Filefish. Note the antenna like appendage extending above it's head ...

We hopped around the reef to a few of my waypoints but could not find anything else other than some smaller Yellowtail so we decided the 4 trigger fish would it for the day.....

Cleaning trigger fish is as much a pain in the butt as catching them. Their skin is as tough as leather. But they are excellent eating and a few filets will find their way onto the grill tomorrow night.

Below is a picture of a captive audience that always sits very patiently as I clean fish....

We have been keeping a running list of all of the different species of fish that we have been fortunate enough to catch here in the Keys. The total is now at 42. The Keys is without a doubt a fisherman's paradise.

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><

Last edited by Hunter; 03-01-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 PM

Wow, pretty fish. I think I just saw all those fish when I was watching "Nemo" with the Grandchildren

Forecast is calling for 6-10 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday. You may have to go to Outdoor World and buy a Sweatshirt
5th (Marty)
Old 03-02-2014, 03:30 AM

Awesome, simply awesome!! That Queen Trigger looks like it should be in someone's aquarium, absolutely beautiful.

Congrats on 42! I think you need to go for 50 species before coming home. Last year, I only caught about 8 species total all year!!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM

FWIW: Seen fish cleaners use a razor knife ( box cutter ) on Triggers.

They cut the skin all the way around each side - then peeled it off.

Love the reports - we are going to see below 10* Monday night

Pelicans are too cool - be good to them. Might be same ones guide us to fish up here in May.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
FWIW: Seen fish cleaners use a razor knife ( box cutter ) on Triggers.

They cut the skin all the way around each side - then peeled it off.

Love the reports - we are going to see below 10* Monday night

Pelicans are too cool - be good to them. Might be same ones guide us to fish up here in May.
I have learned to cut the skin of a trigger by cutting it from the inside out using my regular filet knife; there is just no way to cut through their skin unless you have a saws-all. I also cut it all the way around on each side as you suggest. I remove the skin as we normally do with a rock fish. I tried peeling it off on a fish once, but it left an inner layer of membrane that was fairly tough.

Temps are forecasted to be -3* out my way in Woodbine. Sorry to have to miss it.

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><
Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Temps are forecasted to be -3* out my way in Woodbine. Sorry to have to miss it.
Mark (Mlag) told me he has been cleaning your driveway after every snow storm I think you owe him about $400 so far. Of course, this one might be a big storm and worth about $100 just for tomorrow's cleaning.
5th
Old 03-02-2014, 08:31 PM

Story I heard was Mark was piling snow in Don / Dawn's driveway - 4 1/2 feet deep by now.

Then there is the 12 foot tall snowman ........................
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Those are some really pretty fish! I've always thought the tropical reef fish were much nicer looking than our plain Jane perch, although our perch will go toe to toe with just about anything on the culinary front...