Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Default 4 / 5 - Sandy Point

Good local band " Scarlet Angel " was playing last night in Glen Burnie - wife and I went to see them. If you like hard rock / metal , worth checking them out. Lead singer is a real power house and rest of band gives 100%.

http://youtu.be/9xHRSkw7e0w

Had planned to fish on Monday but weather forecast predicts bad winds so switched to today. Luckily this time of year it's not crowded and could launch at 9:00. Glad for late start - got in at 2:30am and set alarm for 8:00 , hoped 4 hours would be enough sleep.

Hooked up the boat and got to Sandy Point at 9:00. Fellow TFers NRGarrot ( Nick ) and Blue Lou ( Lou ) met me and we got boat launched. Shook cobwebs out of my head and off we went. Only about 8-9 other trailers there and wind was about 10 from north.

Ran under bridge and noticed water was dirty / stained. Got to # 87 and put over the 6 rods after carefully combing lures out. Luckily carry spare comb - lost one over.

Once rods were set we settled into east / west pattern watching the meter for life. Not much on meter other then occasional fish deep. Second pass had us on west side near Tollys when planer rod got hit. Nick took it and was reeling it in until fish got near surface and hook came loose. We saw it - maybe 30 incher.

Heard others on VHF complaining of slow bite with only 1-2 fish caught among them. Current was running well and we checked the lures. One had plastic trash on it but others were fine. We racked rods across transom with lures close to boat to make it fast to reset spread. Sure looked good.

I was banging my head against GPS trying to figure out what to do. We continued searching all the way down to # 86 - just south of TPL. Never saw much on meter and checked lures a few times as we encountered tide lines with sticks. Lures stayed clean but planer board had stick on it for few minutes. Wind died out and bay got smooth. Adjusted line lengths - more just to change something then real reason.

It was tough to complain - nice sunny day and light wind but few fish would have been sweet. We pulled lines around 4:30 slowly - hoping for last minute hit. Not to be and ran back to the ramp. Had to dodge few bigger pieces of wood - perhaps coming down from Susky after all the recent rain.

Not sure what to make of not seeing many fish - plan to give them 4-5 days to move up and try again. Much prefer head banging music than fish causing me to bang my head.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM

It was a tough but beautiful day! After this winter, I'll take any day on the water, fish or no fish

Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM

I wonder if the muddy water had something to do with it? Getting a nice day with light winds is half the battle. Glad that you got a nice day weather wise.