Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Monday, my Captain called and said he had an angler he needed to take out Tues. morning and did I think I could fill the remaining 5 spots. I owe so many guys a ride on my boat and never seem to be able to get them involved when I only normally take 3 guys.
A chance to invite 5 guys makes paybacks a little easier. I've fished Skip's (27 Sailfish) boat, Don's (Hunter) boat, and Mark's (Mlag) boat. Jim (2 Jims) from Marty's has been a big help to me with tackle store, and Rich (Hockleyneck) turned me on to his electronics guy to install my new FF/GPS-radio-and bilge pumps.
I know I have more "debts" to pay so I hope to do another trip like this again soon.
The day started quickly with 3 in the box, then we had a short lull and 2 more came aboard. The final fish took a while to find, and I think we may need to head south to find a better concentration next week.
All fish were good quality (avg 36-39 inches) and put up a good fight.
We had some nice whitecaps and the scotty clips had difficulty staying tight. I switched to rubberbands (#32) and still had a couple break. Learning each time out. I'll head to Office Depot and buy some 64's for those nastier days.
A great crew made my day easier. Everyone knows how to set a spread and pitch in to help. Capt. John surprised the crew with a crabcake lunch cooked onboard. Good eats, and good fishing; what could be better?
Thanks to all who jumped on a great opportunity quickly to help us fill the boat.
Til next time;
5th (Marty)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Fished today with Allan (JustChillin) on his boat. Found some bait near Parkers Creek and pulled one fish out of it after several more attempts, we left to find a better area. Yeah right.
Trolled different water depths and found not another single fish. 16 lines in the water and nothing.
Could this be the beginning of the end of Trophy Season?
5th (Marty)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 PM

I talked with Mlag and they trolled down the bay until just off the power plant (opps...burned that spot) and worked their way back north to the CR. Caught one 30" fish at the very end. At last communication with Hockleyneck (Rich), Mark indicated they were struggling as well. Not sure if the fish are as sick of this dirty water as we are, but I would say we are well past the peak. Solomons is probably where you need to go....Don
Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
I talked with Mlag and they trolled down the bay until just off the power plant (opps...burned that spot) and worked their way back north to the CR. Caught one 30" fish at the very end. At last communication with Hockleyneck (Rich), Mark indicated they were struggling as well. Not sure if the fish are as sick of this dirty water as we are, but I would say we are well past the peak. Solomons is probably where you need to go....Don
We had a rough day as well. Set lines about a mile north of 78 and headed south. After looking around 78 with not even a knockdown, we went up the east side of the False Channel. Went all the way to the "Goal Posts" not sure of the buoy numbers but its the red and green cans right across from one another marking the northern end of the FC. Worked the western edge and headed south back towards 78. Looked around the mouth of the FC without a bump. A buddy was going to the O's game and we had to pull lines at 1:00 so we trolled north . Pulled lines at 78A without a knockdown. This was my annual trip with some buddies from college so its was disappointing not to have any action. Saw Mark and was thinking he was going to have a long run back to the South River.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 AM

It was just that kind of day out there. We trolled 20 rods for 8 hours and one 30" fish to show for it. I don't know if it was dirty water or a day after a blow but they had lock jaw. The meter show fish everywhere at 10-20 feet. The ride down to the power plant was tough into the wind but the ride back to the South river wasn't bad. Can't complain, fun to be out there and a fish for dinner..........Gary
Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 AM

We got 5 out of 6 strikes - all in a small clump of bait about 2 miles south of #78.

Water was stained on incoming - then dirty on outgoing.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

We took a skunk on Friday from 82 down to the radar towers. Wind was out of the south at 8 to 12, and the tide was outgoing negating a lot of the current. WE have our fair share of thick fillets in the freezer, but it's been that kind of year.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM

Back on the charter boat this morning. Left the dock at 6 am and ran out to 35 ft of water. Started setting lines; the first board line goes out, the second board line goes out and while setting the third board line; the second one pops and "fish on". Great way to start.
We had 5 in the box by 8:30 and High Tide was due at 9am. The tide slacked and we ate lunch. At 10:30, bang, the last fish was put in the cooler.
All fish came off the boards or unbrella's with no weight. I only run 3 deep rods, but they went untouched again today. Early, the longer board rods (8 bars) were getting hit, but as the sun rose, the lighter rods out 4 bars (with some of them single baits) got hit the most.
This was good for me because I didn't have to reset my spread at all today. As a fish hit a board line out 4 bars, I just reset that same rod out 4 bars again.
Todays fish were not 38-39 inches like all the trips before, todays fish were 33-35 inches but fiesty. I don't know how much longer they will be here, so hit this good weather hard before the trophy season ends.
Good hunting
5th (Marty)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Marty, Thanks for sharing your trips with us on here. It has been some tough fishing in the Yoo Hoo.............Gary
Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM

What a difference a day makes. Tough bite this morning. After limiting out fairly quickly yesterday, we thought today was going to be a piece of cake.
Definitely not the case. We were marking nice bait and fish, but they were deeper than yesterday. We caught 4, with 3 coming off deep rods.
We headed for the barn around 1 pm and I understand it "turned on" around 1:30 where we were today. Oh well, that's fishing.
We are going to be downsizing most of our baits in anticipation of the 2 a day limit coming up soon. We have been seeing some "unders", but most fish are still in the low to mid 30's. I understand another CBAngler caught some nice size (38-39 inch) fish today, and had a whopper come unglued at the boat.
The winds layed down in late morning and it was a beautiful day on the water.

Not looking to get out until next Monday. Look for a report next week. Best of luck, 5th (Marty)