Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 AM

Default Sailboats

First, I wish I could fish as much as you.
I almost had a sailboat come up my stern. I was chumming and anchored off of Hackett's, we saw him coming and was waiting for him to alter his course, as he got closer we started sounding the horn, jumping up and down and screaming, at about a 100'ft away his head pops up to see where he is going, by the time he altered his course he was within 50'. Of course we were cursing, I wanted to throw sinkers or something at him but lead is getting expensive. Needless to say My heart was racing for a while and I spent some time looking around the boat for a napkin or TP.
Keep it safe!!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
I wanted to throw sinkers or something at him but lead is getting expensive.
I keep the outdated flairs for my flair gun just for those situations!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM

I did my final fishing trip of trophy season today. Brought out 2 guys that never fished with planer boards and they were pretty impressed. A bit rough this morning, but wind eventually laid down, and only saw about 10 boats trolling this morning from TPL to BPL. I still managed to get 2 sailboats under motor hunting me down and forcing me off course. I also had a tug pulling a barge come up on me while we were pulling lines near TPL. I hailed him on 13 and he was nice enough to alter course so I could continue my course across his bow.

Good thing the rules change on Saturday... I had 1 over, 1 slot, 2 unders, 3 shorts, and 2 misses. The shorts were 19-26" and those little guys like to inhale the entire parachute complete with 9" shad, and I would have preferred to put them in the box than have to throw them back. Still plenty of bait and fish around, but it was a tough bite on the end of outgoing, and didn't turn on good until incoming got going strong. Board rods from 40'-60' back caught, as did deep umbrellas.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 PM

I had another friend call me today and say "trophy" season is over! He found a 38" today but had a few 20somethings as well. I don't think I'll get out until MAYBE Friday afternoon or I may use that time to downsize a few baits for Saturday morning.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 PM

I will be out tomorrow. Jeff, unless the bite is super hot, I will take some time to change over my boat rods to bucktails, spoonbrellas, and Tony 17's, and keep the board rods all parachutes with 9" shads for next week in hopes there will still be some stragglers around next week to work with the boards while having plenty of action with smaller fish on the boat rods.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Robin View Post
I will be out tomorrow. Jeff, unless the bite is super hot, I will take some time to change over my boat rods to bucktails, spoonbrellas, and Tony 17's, and keep the board rods all parachutes with 9" shads for next week in hopes there will still be some stragglers around next week to work with the boards while having plenty of action with smaller fish on the boat rods.
Good luck!! I like your plan. I may do the same as I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on trophy season. A lot more crab pots are popping up above the bridge though so board days are definetly numbered. (Quite honestly I do look forward to running just boat rods, so much less stressful. )

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM

Quick report from today:
5 Saturday fish(20-28"), 2 unders (28.5 and 34) in the box, and a big one that got away. Zigzaged with the wind TPL to 83. Most fish caught 35-45', one at 60'. Bait and big fish marks in channel but not biting. Heard of a 48 on radio at BPL. I downsized all boat rod baits except one deep umbrella... which had the big fish that got off. I have had fish with sea lice today and past 3 trips. I plan to continue to pull boards with 9" baits next week, along with the small baits on boat rods... I think the wind/waves and cranking outgoing current made it tough today, but that there are still plenty of big fish around... good luck!