Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
It will affect charters, because not all parties are 6 or more.
On opening day, my party consists of 2 people. Has been for years. We usually limit out by 8 or so and back in before the madness gets to bad.
That will all change with being able to only use 6 rods.
I just hung up from DNR. My question was if the law pertains to charters? Their answer was " that is a very good question and we will get back to you".
I find that charter reg's are sometimes somewhere between commercial and recreational rules. Last season the DNR officer wanted to see my cold water survival suits for operating in March. I will post after I get a call back.
It would definitly affect me because I don't like taking more than 4 customers.

bhl (Bruce)

Last edited by bhl; 01-16-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
I just hung up from DNR. My question was if the law pertains to charters? Their answer was " that is a very good question and we will get back to you".
I find that charter reg's are sometimes somewhere between commercial and recreational rules. Last season the DNR officer wanted to see my cold water survival suits for operating in March. I will post after I get a call back.
It would definitly affect me because I don't like taking more than 4 customers.

bhl (Bruce)
It will be interesting what the reply will be.
If you take crabbing charters, you have to adhere to rec limits, rec times and no females.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Going to be interesting to see who put this through as folks research it.

Two and two are not adding up to four since no public hearings were held.

I'm almost guessing - rule was intended for fresh water. If you read through - everything else sounds more freshwater then tidal.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

I do not believe in sector separation, which means I believe the same rules for an individual fishing on a for-hire boat should be the same for those on a not for-hire boat.

Question is do the capt and mate count as "people"..
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I do not believe in sector separation, which means I believe the same rules for an individual fishing on a for-hire boat should be the same for those on a not for-hire boat.

Question is do the capt and mate count as "people"..
The rules are already different. A charter captain may not keep a fish " for the boat" during the spring season a rec can. Even though the DNR stopped putting that rule in the fishing regulations book, it still shows up in the comars. I have a copy somewhere. I called to find out why the rule wasn't posted in the regulation book and was told it was an oversight. That was three years ago.
I also will ask about weather the cap't and mate count as people if and when I get a call back because it was on my mind as well.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
The rules are already different. A charter captain may not keep a fish " for the boat" during the spring season a rec can. Even though the DNR stopped putting that rule in the fishing regulations book, it still shows up in the comars. I have a copy somewhere. I called to find out why the rule wasn't posted in the regulation book and was told it was an oversight. That was three years ago.
I also will ask about weather the cap't and mate count as people if and when I get a call back because it was on my mind as well.

bhl (Bruce)
I found the comar re: charter not able to keep fish in the spring (attached). I am starting to believe that you need a law degree to be a fisherman.
Check out the last item on page 2 about season limitations and public notice.

bhl (Bruce)
Attached Files
File Type: txt charter fishing regs.txt (4.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Two and two are not adding up to four since no public hearings were held.

I'm almost guessing - rule was intended for fresh water.
Oh Skip, you are soooo wrong. I spoke to a Mr Holt in DNR. He assured me that public meetings were held and it was "advertised" even on public radio. He said they also went through ASMC (?) (whatever there worthless initials are), but there was NO OPOSITION to the bill. It was INTENDED to apply to ALL state waters.
I told him I was involved in the PSCR regulation change, and their was so much public comment that we occassionally had to move the venue because the original hall wouldn't hold all the people wanting to speak out against the changing regulations. I asked him if he really believed that there would be NO opposition to changing my gear during the season based upon how much opposition there was to PSCR?
I told him this was a sneaky underhanded way to pass new legislation. DNR was so embarressed by the way it was handled they didn't even put it in the booklet handed out with your new license.
He continued to assure me that there was plenty of opportunity for the stakeholders to voice their concern on this bill before it went into effect.
He took my name and contact information and said he would let his superiors know how I felt.

We may get them to REVERT back to this being for non-tidal waters; but this was done specifically to address trolling in the Bay.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM

Marty , I'd like to see when / where it was advertised. Got a feeling it was 3 in morning on Monday on some old AM radio station.

Odd no one I know heard anything about this - including four members of sport fish comm.

I talked to 3 charter captains - their various organizations were not notified either.

Nor was MSSA.

I read the Sunpaper daily - never saw anything - although often I see hook / line opening and closings.

By having zero opposition - shows no one heard about this.

Look at how fast info has spread in just 2-3 days. Not even sure who first found out about it. Friend called me - he saw it on another web site.

Surely some one would have posted about this if it was really well advertised.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Marty , I'd like to see when / where it was advertised. Got a feeling it was 3 in morning on Monday on some old AM radio station.

Odd no one I know heard anything about this - including four members of sport fish comm.

I talked to 3 charter captains - their various organizations were not notified either.

Nor was MSSA.

I read the Sunpaper daily - never saw anything - although often I see hook / line opening and closings.

By having zero opposition - shows no one heard about this.

Look at how fast info has spread in just 2-3 days. Not even sure who first found out about it. Friend called me - he saw it on another web site.

Surely some one would have posted about this if it was really well advertised.
I've traced the notifications back to public hearing held in three different locations in early May. The Sport Fishing Advisory Committee was also notified of the proposed changes at their May meetings.

DNR didn't drop the ball or do anything sneaky, MSSA, CCA SFAC and the Maryland Charter Boat Association all dropped the ball.

Maybe everyone should send emails to the SFAC reps and ask them to stop trying to micro manage commercial fishing and pay attention to the recreational side.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Skip; Absolutely, this was done with the intent to not have any opposition.

Not only did they pass this 'EMERGENCY" legislation; but they didn't even have the balls to put it in the new fishing booklet you get with your fishing license.

Somebody needs to be shown the door. Should it be Dave Smith (MSSA) or somebody in DNR; not sure at this moment, but somebody dropped the ball and recreational fishermen are paying the price.

Call DNR 1-877-620-8367 to voice your displeasure.
5th