Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Lowrance HDS Combo

Hey gang; I'm really close to getting a HDS 7 combo. My supplier and I have a disagreement over the transducer. I say the 83/200 and the 50/200 are seperate transducer. I want the 83/200 for the bay. Can anyone confirm for me they are two different units?
I am also looking at getting the base unit WITHOUT the insight mapping, and getting the navionics platinum card instead.
Now for the news. While searching the lowrance websight, I found a news release dated 2/10/10 that says lowranse is going to release a new sd INSIGHT chip that will be better than the internal INSIGHT mapping on their older machines. It is supposed to be faster, and include more detail. The problem is it's not to be released until April 2010. With the history of lowrance not meeting their release dates, I'm still going to get the nav card, but maybe take a look at the new INSIGHT chip for Christmas.

Just a reminder, the average temperature for this time of year is 46 degrees. Spring is on it's way.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM

You sure spell Furuno funny
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
You sure spell Furuno funny
Skip; I know nothing but lowrance. Back in 2001, when I bought my new boat from the dealer, I had a x65 black and white finder installed. For the last 6 years, the only gps I had was a lowrance hand held b/w unit. Whenever I had a problem with either unit, I've sent it back and they have sent me another unit for an extra couple dollars. My gps was so old, they didn't even make my model anymore, so they sent me an upgrade.
Another thing, I don't do much adjusting of my fishfinder. I may adjust the sensitivity or zoom in on the bottom with the bottom lock option, but that's about all.
My old B/W unit may be old, but I know how to read her like she's family. Other brands were considered, but I just felt so comfortable with lowerance. All the menu and pages are similar to what I've had for so many years, I hope the learning curve is quicker with this unit than another brand.
I even struggled with the decission between the 7 and 8 model. But I can get the 7 and have it installed, for less than the price of the 8.
If I was getting a new boat, or if I thought I might ever add downscan, sidescan or radar I would have gone with the 8, but I may be letting the 7 go with the boat if I ever upgrade to a new boat.
In any case; I can't wait for the new unit to get installed and I can "practice" with it during PSCR.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Baldzilla

same unit different transducer...I have the 50/200 buddy has 83/200...I catch more fishj

speed of insight is not an issue with feb 1st update

so far all software release dates are pretty much exactly on target, it's hardware that is slow
Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 PM

Marty;
Can you email me with the prices you are getting. I am looking to get a HDS 7 and also a HDS 5.

Much appreciated if you would

Vince
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Hey gang; I'm really close to getting a HDS 7 combo. My supplier and I have a disagreement over the transducer. I say the 83/200 and the 50/200 are seperate transducer. I want the 83/200 for the bay. Can anyone confirm for me they are two different units?
You're both right. The 83/200 works better in shallow water because it has a wider beam, therefore more bottom coverage. It's definitely a different xducer than the 50/200 which shoots a narrower beam but will be clearer when the water is deeper. But, if you buy the unit and the xducer together, you have to specify up front which one you want because they sell them new with either configuration.

It's also possible to buy the HDS units without a xducer. If you do that, I think either the 83/200 or the 50/200 will interface. Still, it's cheaper on the front end to get buy the xducer and the unit in the same package. That's probably why your dealer wants to know. Unless you already have a xducer that will work, you want to tell your dealer that you want the HDS-x unit that comes with the 83/200 transducer.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"

Last edited by Shawn Kimbro; 02-20-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Baldzilla

also talk to Ken Lahr, he has about 14 transducers attached to his unit, and he has some great info.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator

All HDS combo units are the same. You can connect any Lowrance compatible ducer to any HDS unit and the HDS unit will adapt to the ducer. Here is a breif description I wrote on the subject - http://www.boemarine.com/Support/Art...1-adafce154b8b