Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Default Dangerous sidewall blowout at speed

Last night, Rob Christy (fishnut) was going to give a seminar at the Pasadena Sportfishing Group. The topic was "the life of a rockfish". I saw a post on TF that Walleye Pete was going to attend and I wanted to speak to him personally about his motor and how Honda treated him. So off I raced down 695 South to Rt 10. I exited Rt 10 and continued down Ritchie Hyway at breakneck speed. Thank heaven all went well

Once I was in the Early Heights Firehouse, I was walking down the aisle to get a seat at the front table occupied by Rob, his dad Bob, Walleye Pete, and Captain Charlie Schneider. I was probably doing a good 3.0 mph (I was in a real hurry) when I felt the sole seperate from the sidewall. I looked down and found a gapping hole in my shoe

Now I realize I strung you along to this point, but this is more serious than you might imagine. I only have three pair of shoes. My Keen sandals that I wear all spring, summer, and fall; my "duck boots" that I wear on the boat during cold weather; and these Timberlake loafers I wear for "special" occassions (Fishing meeting, resturants, church). So you can see how important they are to my social life.

They lasted a long time, so I'm not complaining about the wear; but I need another pair of "nice" shoes to replace them. Any suggestions? What are you wearing? They have to do double duty on the boat as well. No scuff marks allowed

Below is a pic of the terrible accident that happened as I headed down the aisle. Good thing I had the "traction control" on when this happened. I almost swerved across the aisle, into the opposite table, and spilling the beer I was carrying

I limped home on one good shoe I need a new pair before Sunday. The wife will frown on me wearing my Keens to church.

5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoe.jpg (17.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Aw man those look brand new still! I usually try to catch a sale at Bass(not as in Bass Pro). Every so often they have a buy 1 get 2 or even 3 pairs free. They always look at me funny when I get at least 2 of the same pair.........

On a more serious note, I'm glad no one was seriously injured and a major crisis was diverted. I had a mudflap disaster that didn't end so well once.

Last edited by shoreboy6; 01-15-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreboy6 View Post
On a more serious note, I'm glad no one was seriously injured and a major crisis was diverted. I had a mudflap disaster that didn't end so well once.
Does this mean you actually spilled your beer; or worse
5th (Marty)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Crown actually.... Never wear flip flops in a bar......
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Marty I've owned all kinds of different shoes made by Merrill and every pair has been fantastic...lasting 10 years or more. Even the black soled shoes that are "anti scuff" really are anti scuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 PM

Shoe GOOP, good for another 5 years. But don't use duct tape. I had a pair of gray mocs, wrapped the laces with duct tape to keep them from getting tangled in my fly line. Only used them when fishing. When I tried to find them after a winter in the closet, they were gone. Wife tossed 'em, said they were falling apart.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 AM

Flycatcher; glad to see you made the transition over from TF.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Shoe GOOP, good for another 5 years. But don't use duct tape. I had a pair of gray mocs, wrapped the laces with duct tape to keep them from getting tangled in my fly line. Only used them when fishing. When I tried to find them after a winter in the closet, they were gone. Wife tossed 'em, said they were falling apart.
My wife did the same thing.

I'm gonna google shoe goo.

(Sounds like I'm speaking Japanese....)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Last night, Rob Christy (fishnut) was going to give a seminar at the Pasadena Sportfishing Group. The topic was "the life of a rockfish". I saw a post on TF that Walleye Pete was going to attend and I wanted to speak to him personally about his motor and how Honda treated him. So off I raced down 695 South to Rt 10. I exited Rt 10 and continued down Ritchie Hyway at breakneck speed. Thank heaven all went well

Once I was in the Early Heights Firehouse, I was walking down the aisle to get a seat at the front table occupied by Rob, his dad Bob, Walleye Pete, and Captain Charlie Schneider. I was probably doing a good 3.0 mph (I was in a real hurry) when I felt the sole seperate from the sidewall. I looked down and found a gapping hole in my shoe

Now I realize I strung you along to this point, but this is more serious than you might imagine. I only have three pair of shoes. My Keen sandals that I wear all spring, summer, and fall; my "duck boots" that I wear on the boat during cold weather; and these Timberlake loafers I wear for "special" occassions (Fishing meeting, resturants, church). So you can see how important they are to my social life.

They lasted a long time, so I'm not complaining about the wear; but I need another pair of "nice" shoes to replace them. Any suggestions? What are you wearing? They have to do double duty on the boat as well. No scuff marks allowed

Below is a pic of the terrible accident that happened as I headed down the aisle. Good thing I had the "traction control" on when this happened. I almost swerved across the aisle, into the opposite table, and spilling the beer I was carrying

I limped home on one good shoe I need a new pair before Sunday. The wife will frown on me wearing my Keens to church.

5th (Marty)
What's wrong with wearing holey shoes to church
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Marty - Shoe goo, gorilla glue, whatever; resist doing the duck tape 'wrap-around' though. Those shoes still have a lot of miles left in them. If you really want to get them repaired correctly, take them to a cobbler in the mall....AMF