Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Default I might be wrong; but....

After fishing 4 days last week and also today; I've come to the conclusion that the trophy's have left. We have been catching some fish, but mostly in the 31-34 inch size. We have been seaching hard for the 3-4 fish we caught. I've been working 30 ft to (and including) the channel. Gannetts are next to extinct in the area north of Bloody.
Now I'm not saying that there aren't pockets of fish around; I'm saying that when I'm trolling, it feels like Mothers Day (a time when I normally put away the trolling equipment and get out the bait and livelinning rods).
Heaven knows; I hope I'm wrong and another group of fish are headed north (but I don't think so). It's time to head far south to look for those straglers still leaving the upper bay and also the Choptank to increase the hookup ratio.

The MSSA tournament is this Fri. Sat. Sun and it should confirm or refute my claim. I've been on several boats with similar results, so it's not just my spread (my lures, my speed, my hunting pattern).
If you have been working the waters north of Bloody, and have been having great success, you don't have to tell me where, how, or what your're fishing; just post your response as "You're Wrong" and I will hold out some hope that it's just me and my abilities to find fish.
If anyone is heading out tomorrow (Tues) be careful; there was significant floating debris from the storms last night. We had to work the boards around lots of floating trees and timber. We even hit a floating 2x6 on the way in (no damage).
Best of luck to everyone; 5th (Marty)
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM

Marty,
We were out all day friday, fished from thomas point south to 84A. We hit every depth on both side of the channel, to include the channel. We zigged more than we zagged, but zagged the whole darn area. Caught 1 rock all day.. have a couple knock downs which may have been caused by the waves breaking the bands... we pulled lines around 4:30, then headed in to Adams for dinner and a few cold ones. heard then from a double top secret source that a bite turned on at buoy 86 and someone pulled in quite a few rock in no time running 4 boat rods.

Saturday, different story... We dropped lines by the southern most anchored ship right outside thomas and headed east across the channel. Marked bait EVERYWHERE in 30-48 ft of water, rock under it, but nothing would take.. (Started questioning out speed, spread, etc.) WE then decided to head to the channel as charters started working the area hard. In 90, that's right 90' of water we picked up 1 rock, just NW of 86. hit the mark button on the GPS, made a circle to that same spot... picked up a 2nd rock.. hit the mark button again, literally right next to the 1st one.. made a shout out to mlag telling him a bit was turing on where i was. He made his way over as we circled the spot again, and picked up a 3rd rock right on our marks. Mlag was able to pick up one right on the marks as well. As we went for another circle, the fleet caught onto us catching and circle, and quickly shut the bite down... after that, it was back to the sloow searching and marking bait/rock with no takers.. pulled lines around 11:30. Definately a strange year... Very random. seems the fish are very scattered, or just aren't in the bay in large numbers and those that are here, are feeding in fast burst where they turn on for 10 mintes or so, then they're done. be on the fish for those 10 min, and you'll pick up a few.. if not, well, get use to the smell of a skunk...
Sorry for the long write up.. just my observations from the 2 days we fished this past weekend
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Mr Tuition,
THere are still some around...last few days, same area you are in we have gotten quite a few. Not the same pick as in years before, but we have caught a few larger ones. I'll tell you my grand secret, go shallow. 25-30 feet has been the magic depth. Good luck Sir
Ron
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
"You're Wrong" and I will hold out some hope that it's just me and my abilities to find fish.
If anyone is heading out tomorrow (Tues) be careful; there was significant floating debris from the storms last night. We had to work the boards around lots of floating trees and timber. We even hit a floating 2x6 on the way in (no damage).
Best of luck to everyone; 5th (Marty)
YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!
Oh $hit...my bad...

PS you know how much I've been out there, I should know!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Been out fishing quite a few times this season thus far. Though I still haven't had that burn em up day that usually comes along every now and then but the catch has been steady as we have been catching a few every run. I think the season will be ok for the next couple weeks as I am still seeing some pre-spawn fish caught. The water temp is till in the upper 50's which I believe is pretty much normal this time of year. I'm sure with good weather forcast this weekend and the MSSA tournament going that fishing will be tough this weekend. Too much pressure always slows things down.
18ft Hydrasport CC
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM

Marty, this Saturday will only be my 2nd trip on the Bay this year and I know the last time Phill and I fished the Bay about 3 weeks ago we never caught a fish. Now as you know I don't troll but the day I was out I did talk to a couple of guys who were catching them right out front of Bloody Point. I hope to find some fish on the jig Saturday because it was just about this time last year that we found some. I will post a report after Saturday and let you know how we made out.

Hey Mark when are you ready to do some LTJ????
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com

Last edited by Steve F; 04-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.