Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Great morning

I usually come out of Bodkin Creek and turn south. Today, I turned north

Lou and I found a ton of bait and put over six rods with planers. I kept Lou busy reeling in fish and resetting lines. We fished from 9:30 until 11:30 and put 9 rockfish in the boat

Most fish were in the 22-24 inch range, but that's what I expected to find in the area I fished. No birds to show the way. We just stayed on the bait and picked at them. I do have to relate one story.

Because the fish were in the 20's, Lou was simply swinging them over the gunnel. He had one particularly feisty fish hooked and asked me to come back and net this fish The fish stayed deep and we couldn't judge the size by the open mouth scooting across the water As Lou brought the fish to the surface, I dipped the 20 inch fish and lowered the net and fish to the deck. The small feisty fish flipped and flopped and tangled himself and the lure (Captain John Spoon) into a tight knot making the net useless. Not ten seconds later another rod starts ripping drag (I had the drags set pretty loosely so I could hear a strike up in the cabin). How often does this happen? You have a fish tangled in the net, when you get a really nice fish hooked up and needing the net. Also, why is it that everyone wants to call me on the phone whenever I'm docking the boat? But I digress.

I hope they stay in the area for awhile.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Is this the Pride? Saw her while fishing today. Check out the photo carefully and you can see where I was fishing
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I usually come out of Bodkin Creek and turn south. Today, I turned north

Lou and I found a ton of bait and put over six rods with planers. I kept Lou busy reeling in fish and resetting lines. We fished from 9:30 until 11:30 and put 9 rockfish in the boat

Most fish were in the 22-24 inch range, but that's what I expected to find in the area I fished. No birds to show the way. We just stayed on the bait and picked at them. I do have to relate one story.

Because the fish were in the 20's, Lou was simply swinging them over the gunnel. He had one particularly feisty fish hooked and asked me to come back and net this fish The fish stayed deep and we couldn't judge the size by the open mouth scooting across the water As Lou brought the fish to the surface, I dipped the 20 inch fish and lowered the net and fish to the deck. The small feisty fish flipped and flopped and tangled himself and the lure (Captain John Spoon) into a tight knot making the net useless. Not ten seconds later another rod starts ripping drag (I had the drags set pretty loosely so I could hear a strike up in the cabin). How often does this happen? You have a fish tangled in the net, when you get a really nice fish hooked up and needing the net. Also, why is it that everyone wants to call me on the phone whenever I'm docking the boat? But I digress.

I hope they stay in the area for awhile.
5th (Marty)
That's why I have 2 nets.
bhl (Bruce)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi Marty
Congrats on a great morning.Mike (garlien) and I were fishing that area Sunday.I was using Storm swim baits and they were getting torn up.Did you catch any Bluefish?or have any soft plastics out?Really like using swim baits but to expensive to feed to the Blues.
Thanks Dan
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 PM

5th,
Well?? What happened to the big fish? Did you have to dive over and wrestle it to the boat? Did it come loose? Did the little fish untangle itself when it saw the big one and figured it would be tossed back over? Talk to me!

Even more importantly- is Nov 2nd the last day for Mikes North??

Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Dan, no blues seen today.

Jeff, the monster fish turned out to be no so much a monster It just appeared to be a bigger fish while we were futzing with the net

Biggest fish today was probably 26 inches.................but sick; so it went back.

5th
Old 10-09-2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the report! Now I need to decide to run across the bay and go back to Love Point or stay close to home...
Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Dan, no blues seen today.5th
New info.
As Bruce cleaned yesterday's fish we found 5-6 inch peanut bunker in the bellies.
Like I said, no blues the last two days. I will be pulling some storm shads next time out

5th