Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 11:34 PM

Default Resurrecting Wino's "Laughing Stock" Thread

I didn't get a chance to read Wino's "Laughing Stock" post started on 12-18-09 and follow-up to Francis' question, as the thread got stepped on pretty bad. I just read it and agreed with Wino about how others are laughing at Maryland's mismanagement of the Chesapeake Bay. I looked at CBAngler's Rules and Regulations ( http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=71 ) and could not find where matters concerning conservation are not to be part of this discussion board. I do think that possibly some of the Rules were violated, but not by Wino. There have been other posts about conservation matters that have somehow received a pass, and allowed to go unmolested. I would like to apologize to Wino for how your post was received; I know all too well from posting on TF what it feels like to have your post dumped on. I would like to resurrect Wino's post. If you don't want to participate, hit your "back" button and go find something else you are interested in, but please don't hijack the post or attempt to kill it. ...Don

Original post by Wino, entitled "Laughing Stock":
I attend meeting of various south Florida fishing clubs and from time to time a rep from Florida wildlife commission will speak. a few weeks ago the topic was mis management of a fishery. The lecture focused on the chesapeake bay and how the adjoining states have screwed things up and especially Maryland. There were other ex Marylander's there and some folks from Virginia, we all cringed when the actions of DNR were mentioned. Very sad that my beloved Chesapeake bay is known as a cesspool with myco infected fish, stupid laws allowing the slaughter of Rockfish during the spawn and the loss of oysters and crabs. Kinda depressing when your reputation is all negative.

Follow-up question from Francis:
I am curious Steve, because I have no clue, what did they suggest would have been a better course of action?

Response from Wino:
Francis the main part of the discussion was the killing of breeding stock on their way to the spawning grounds. They close most important species to fishing during spawning down here, that is why snook and many others are closed twice a year during that period. They also spoke about the politics of commercial fishing in the bay by bending to the commercial fisherman and allowing Omega to plunder the Menhadden fishery. A biologist spoke about the mycobacterial infections in Rockfish and the lack of disclosure from Virginia and Maryland regarding this issue because the state governments would cause a problem for the commercial fishery if it was leaked to the media and may cause a scare like physteria did. They also spoke about the sewage and water treatment runnoff and Baltimores disregard of the EPA standards for sewage dumping into the bay. Florida has many citizen watchdog groups that monitor any water problems and make sure it is dealt with. Dirty water keeps the tourists away and boating and sport fishing is a religion down here.

Feel free to comment on....
Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 AM

Where's that "ignore" option?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Don I could care less what many of the readers of this site think about my post, thanks for sticking up for me but don't feel sorry. My bay fishing days are over. I spent 60 years fishing the bay from the flats to the CBBT. I now travel 12 minutes get on my boat and in 15 minutes I am in the gulf stream. My fishing opprutunities are varried, from offshore pelagic species to inshore snook, permit, Tarpon and Redfish, trout ladyfish, etc. Being retired for over 10 years has given me the chance to fish not only here in Florida but throughout the world. As a home owner on the Honga I can still voice an opinion on bay matters, if this group only wants fishing reports for this site so be it, I can't contribute those. I can give you south florida fishing reports if you need them.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirt View Post
Where's that "ignore" option?
It is a list of those members you wish to ignore. They evidently cannot send you any PMs and anything they post is blocked for your viewing pleasure. I had no problem putting Rex on my list. Click 'UserCP' at the top; on the next page look to your lower left under 'Miscellaneous'. Great feature...Don